586,971 active members*
2,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > How not to make a CNC for milling PCB's

Hybrid View

How not to make a CNC for milling PCB's

Hi all,

I messed around with making a CNC for milling PCB's - I wound up with a machine that never worked quite well enough to be useful, but some knowledge of what *not* to do ;-)

I got around to detailing some of the lessons learned and thought I would share (although the vast majority of this community is WAY ahead of me!). At any rate, I hope this might be useful and save someone some time!

How NOT to make a CNC Mill (part 1) - CNC - Twilight Robotics

How NOT to make a CNC Mill (part 2) - CNC - Twilight Robotics

Nice articles - I enjoyed reading them!

I just got started milling my own PCBs and I was thinking of building a CNC just for them - right now I am using my 33"X47" CNC - it's like using a sledge hammer to hammer in a ten penny nail

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardWorkshop View Post
    Nice articles - I enjoyed reading them!

I just got started milling my own PCBs and I was thinking of building a CNC just for them - right now I am using my 33"X47" CNC - it's like using a sledge hammer to hammer in a ten penny nail
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked them. One of the conclusions I've come to (well, affirmed) is that if you want to get going quickly, without wasting a lot of time, it's far easier to just buy a kit. . .especially if you have limited experience. I like this sort of thing - and couldn't really justify the cost of a kit, so I worked with what I could scrounge up!

Good luck on your mill - save yourself some time and don't make any of the same mistakes as me ;-)

Ahhh building the CNC machine is most of the fun this would be my third home built CNC if I decide to undertake it - I probably already have nearly everything I need already too, otherwise I might not be thinking about it too much hehe

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardWorkshop View Post
    Ahhh building the CNC machine is most of the fun this would be my third home built CNC if I decide to undertake it - I probably already have nearly everything I need already too, otherwise I might not be thinking about it too much hehe
    Looks like I'm in the right place!

Allow me to suggest another "issue" The Dremel tool as a spindle. The run out on those is awful. For tips/hints on using MDF be sure to visit http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...p_machine.html thread. John has a lot of experience with them.

I like your simple pressure foot, that would be a worthwhile addition to my router.

Yeah, I'm hoping that after I have all of the other issues taken care of I'll be complaining about the Dremel runout ;-). After I get some different stepper drivers up and running again I *hope* to run into this - since it means the machine is accurate enough for it to become a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    For tips/hints on using MDF be sure to visit http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...p_machine.html thread. John has a lot of experience with them.
    Jay C,

Thanks a lot for the link to that thread- I finally had a chance to sit down and look at it in some detail - what a build. I especially like his solution for attaching the sides to the front of the machine - very well thought out.