586,567 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese 3020 CNC just went Phut!

Over the last 2 nights I have been leveling up the bed on my 3020 CNC machine. All was working fine, but at one stage, turning on the spindle motor, the smoke got out. Well I pulled the motor apart and couldn't find anything obvious, so I connected my CRO up to the spindle cables to have a look at the signal. Well, when I connected the probe ground lead to what I thought was the negative. BANG! and that left me in the dark until I could reset the fuze box, after finding a torch so I could see the damn thing. Popping the circuit breaker made me think...I feel I have read something similar somewhere about someone having a similar ;problem which turned out to be the power supply. I have looked through here and various other places but can't find anything. Has anyone else had similar problems with these machines?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by muddy0409 View Post
    Over the last 2 nights I have been leveling up the bed on my 3020 CNC machine. All was working fine, but at one stage, turning on the spindle motor, the smoke got out. Well I pulled the motor apart and couldn't find anything obvious, so I connected my CRO up to the spindle cables to have a look at the signal. Well, when I connected the probe ground lead to what I thought was the negative. BANG! and that left me in the dark until I could reset the fuze box, after finding a torch so I could see the damn thing. Popping the circuit breaker made me think...I feel I have read something similar somewhere about someone having a similar ;problem which turned out to be the power supply. I have looked through here and various other places but can't find anything. Has anyone else had similar problems with these machines?
    Thanks in advance
    Get rid of the cheap crap spindle and buy a cheap Ozito router 2 yr warranty, thats what I did when mine went smokey and crapped itself

You really have to be careful with CRO earths on hot rectified mains powered stuff.
    Always use differential inputs, and probes rated to at least 400v before you even think of connecting a CRO, and earth is EARTH. not negative.
    The negative is -160v and positive +160v if running on 240vAC
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks Neil...
    You shoulda said that sooner...
    I had a bit of a brain fade when I did that.

I do have a Dremel that I might put on the machine, that should do what work I have.

Managed to get the Dremel fitted, now all I gotta do is see if it's a workable fix.