586,094 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Sufcam 6 problems
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Sufcam 6 problems

Anyone having problems with SC6? I just started using it full time for the second time on a new project last week and found it to be a disaster. Constantly locking up, when it’s not locking up I get “Access Violation” errors regularly. Verify is better than V5.2 but other than that I can’t see any reason to use SC6. V5.2 is just as bad for cashing and errors and was hoping SC6 would have cured that problem. Maybe it’s my system, but my CAD program works flawlessly on the same computer. Any suggestions? Does anyone know if Surfware is aware of these problems and is working on a solution?

SC6 crashed on me at a very bad time (2nd time today), so I went to CNC Zone to relieve the frustration a little, and it looks like I have company, YAY... :drowning:

Given their seemingly oblivious state, I don't think that most people report things like this, but it's likely that someone over at SW monitors this site. Woudn't you if you were them...?

Quote Originally Posted by machinster View Post
    SC6 crashed on me at a very bad time (2nd time today), so I went to CNC Zone to relieve the frustration a little, and it looks like I have company, YAY... :drowning:

Given their seemingly oblivious state, I don't think that most people report things like this, but it's likely that someone over at SW monitors this site. Woudn't you if you were them...?
    LOL, sorry, but that is wishful thinking for them to be checking out this forum. I've been following this forum for about 5 years now and have never seen anyone from Surfware respond. Sometimes a dealer might comment about something but even that is very rare. We are too chicken to run V6 and we just paid maintenance last month so we are still undecided about our future with Surfcam. We are seriously looking at Mastercam, mainly because in our area, there are a ton of machinist around here in SoCal that are familiar with it.

I have been using SC6 for about 1 month now and what's new for me is that suddenly the program "freezes" and I can't do anything to wake it up. It's not the computer because all other applications are still running without any problems. This problem doesn't appear very often but anyway, at least 2-3 times/week.. Another irritating problem (which was present also in V5.2) is that if I have just made a new operation and the toolpath is visible on the screen and then click the "save" button before going back into the operation manager, then the "hide toolpath" button is grey. That means I have to click the "show toolpath" button once before I can hide the toolpath. Anyone else experienced that?

Thomas

Same here. I report to surfware many bugs such as:

1. Mask doesn’t work properly

2. Square doesn’t appear

When select a chain to move, select a boundary to make a NC program, the square indicates the endpoint of element doesn’t appear.

After installing software patch 1 , sometimes appear an error: Default exception caught , and the program hung up

I wasn’t aware of the patch, what does it fix? And why don’t they list the bug fixes? I just installed the patch and the build number still shows B136. Shouldn’t that change? How do you know if the patch has been installed? Surfware, stop treating your customers like we’re idiots and update this to 21st century standards! We pay maintenance because we assume the end result will be a better product, yet we get the same product with the same bugs packaged differently each year. Put lipstick on a pig and it’s still a pig.

Thomas, I’ve seen the hide tool path problem in the last 2 versions also. You’re right, very irritating.

I ask the same, why built don't change?
    What about changelog?

The technical support said said that built don't change with the patch and I can find the log in a text file in Surfcam directory.

I check and see the problems that I had found in built 136 wasn't fixed

Just because they don't respond doesn't mean they don't visit here...

I've read the MasterCam section and they have even more problems than SurfCam, then there's the problem of starting over and re-learning everything, so that doesn't really sound like a good option either.

I have an opportunity to use HyperMill and get paid to learn it. Looks like it might be time to step it up to something newer and hopefully better.

When did you guys receive V6??? I still havent seen mine (yes, subscription is paid lol).

It sounds that it might be better to hold off on upgrading. And regarding the toolpath hide, I get that as well and it drives me insane.

J

Quote Originally Posted by R1_pilot View Post
    When did you guys receive V6??? I still havent seen mine (yes, subscription is paid lol).

It sounds that it might be better to hold off on upgrading. And regarding the toolpath hide, I get that as well and it drives me insane.

J
    R1 Pilot, You’ll probably have to contact your dealer. We called our dealer after seeing a post here back in July. They probably don’t want to tell you about it until its fixed so they don’t have to deal with these problems.

I still find it odd that there is still no official announcement on their website.

Another irritant is when you use “File> Open”. Click on a folder or file, it jumps off the screen before you can double click on it. Surfcam is the only program that does that on my computer and I can’t figure out why. It’s been like that for the last few releases.

TURN OFF AERO

Change your windows graphics settings to BASIC and a lot of the freezing problems go away. Surfcam hates windows aero (the see thru stuff on menu bars), that helped us out a lot. Also, run as administrator and make sure your user name has full control of the surfcam folders. This eliminated 90% of our crashing/freezing problems. The other 10% we are just dealing with

These errors are driving me nuts plus GP faults keep shutting V6 down every few hours. Anyone found a solution to these yet besides buying another program? And no, we are not running Windows aero.

GP fault and access violation is a windws permissions issue that surfcam refuses to address in installation...
    1- Set surfcam to run as administraor
    2- Dont install into programfiles(x86), c:/surfcam is best
    3- Go into security tab for c:/surfcam and grant full control to all users
    4- Go to security tab for c:/users/public/surfcam and grant full control to all users

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dustinlyle View Post
    GP fault and access violation is a windws permissions issue that surfcam refuses to address in installation...
    1- Set surfcam to run as administraor
    2- Dont install into programfiles(x86), c:/surfcam is best
    3- Go into security tab for c:/surfcam and grant full control to all users
    4- Go to security tab for c:/users/public/surfcam and grant full control to all users

Good luck
    All the above steeps were done months ago with no effect. I would like to believe there has to be more to it than just luck.

Don't just turn off see through windows

I can't fully explain why but changing the theme to windows 7 basic helps most people. I have had a number of people try this and none of them have called back since.

Here's a list of things to try for unstable systems:
    1. Install the latest driver for the graphics card available from the card manufacturer’s website

2. Make sure that you are running the SURFCAM.EXE as an administrator and configure SURFCAM to disable the "Aero" theme upon launch

3. If you are using the “Crosshair” cursor, switch to the standard cursor

In some cases, the best way resolve lock and crash issues is to reinstall SURFCAM. Please follow these steps to ensure a clean installation of SURFCAM.
    NOTE: Before uninstalling SURFCAM 6 be sure you have all your custom files (posts, templates, databases, etc.) backed up somewhere safe.

To reinstall SURFCAM 6:
    1. Uninstall SURFCAM 6

2. Make sure that the “C:\Program Files\SURFCAM” folder is not needed and delete from the computer

3. Make sure that the “C:\Users\Public\SURFCAM” folder is not needed and delete from the computer

4. Reboot the machine

5. If you have "Kaspersky Internet Security" or any other security/antivirus programs running that can block important files in software installations, please make sure these programs are disabled for the duration of the installation of SURFCAM 6

6. Run a registry cleaner on the computer such as “Auslogics” (or another registry cleaner of your choice) to clean your registry. The Auslogics registry cleaner can be found here: Best Free PC Registry Cleaner Software Download. Fix Errors Now!

7. If using the Auslogics registry cleaner: When starting the scan, be sure to select all the areas you want to have checked.

8. Reboot the computer

9. Log in with full Administrator rights
    Look under General Info\Windows for instructions on how to do this.

10. Double check that no other programs are running

11. Disable virus protection temporarily for the SURFCAM 6 installation

12. Reinstall SURFCAM 6 and make sure you accept all the default installation paths

13. Reboot the computer again

14. Replace the SIM

15. Wait for the “Sentinel Driver successfully installed” message to appear

16. Start SURFCAM 6

17. Enable virus protection

Fire up SURFCAM 6 and test it out.

I too "had" the locking up problems with 6. easy fix

Switch back to version 5.2

Works perfectly!!:wave:

My dealer said to me that an update is coming soon that will fix 90% of the bugs of version 6.

You think they will offer it to those who’s maintenance has expired? I just happened to checked their download website this morning and noticed the last update was just a few days ago, but when I went to download it, it said it was B136, the same as what we’ve been using for the last 6 months.

You think they will offer it to those who’s maintenance has expired?
    I think so.

I just happened to checked their download website this morning and noticed the last update was just a few days ago, but when I went to download it, it said it was B136, the same as what we’ve been using for the last 6 months.
    The date shown (02/05/13) is the introduction of the last link, it must have been the introduction of a linguagrm, other than English.
    I think a patch will update as happened previously.

Page 1 of 2 12