586,117 active members*
3,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First project

A little video of our first EVER machining/milling project .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ib_zX9gCsSs

I'm real impressed

I may have the same machine without the CNC addition, and I am quick to admit that I have never gotten that type performance out of my machine. I can mill things and make things that are adequate for my needs but when I get done you can see the chatter marks on the part and while it is cutting you can hear the 'jump-i-ness'. Your vertical travels were also smooth while mine jump in .020 increments.

I've used flood cooling but only with a little drizzle from a 1/4 inch tube with a valve that further restricts flow. How are you handling the runoff? Did you plug all the table holes? With all that flow doesn't the chaff and lathe transmission oil that ends up laying on the table become an un-manageable mess? How much splash gets on the lathe motor? I probably have another dozen questions.

As the title says the part is really nice looking, the technique is overwhelmingly impressive, the potential that you show blows my mind. I'm just impressed.

Tom

I'll do my best answering your ??'s , We've only had the machine about a week , It's a Shopmaster Patroit , purchased in 2010 never setup until we bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    I may have the same machine without the CNC addition, and I am quick to admit that I have never gotten that type performance out of my machine. I can mill things and make things that are adequate for my needs but when I get done you can see the chatter marks on the part and while it is cutting you can hear the 'jump-i-ness'. Your vertical travels were also smooth while mine jump in .020 increments.

I've used flood cooling but only with a little drizzle from a 1/4 inch tube with a valve that further restricts flow. How are you handling the runoff? Just filled the tray for now (5gal)., using a homemade pump and filter Did you plug all the table holes?Yes , we had to silicone around the WHOLE joint floor/side , the chineese welds were BAD to say the least , 1/4" of paint doesn't seal very well:argue: With all that flow doesn't the chaff and lathe transmission oil that ends up laying on the table become an un-manageable mess?Not bad ,we have cut 3 of those parts(both sides) so far it's less buildup than expected, probably be able to cut 10-15 before cleanout ? ? How much splash gets on the lathe motor?None on any motors,the stepper motor gets an occasional splash,NEVER enough to drip off. I probably have another dozen questions.

As the title says the part is really nice looking, the technique is overwhelmingly impressive, the potential that you show blows my mind. I'm just impressed.

Tom
    Thanks we are impressed as well , showed it to a machinist buddy who is OCD obsessive , he was impressed as well , said "If I had to cut that manuelly , I'd commit sucide":drowning: :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post

I've used flood cooling but only with a little drizzle from a 1/4 inch tube with a valve that further restricts flow. How are you handling the runoff? Did you plug all the table holes? With all that flow doesn't the chaff and lathe transmission oil that ends up laying on the table become an un-manageable mess? How much splash gets on the lathe motor? I probably have another dozen questions.

Tom
    Tom,
    You don't say what model you have, but the new patriot machines do not have any gearboxes to worry about- its all electronic drives. Also the lathe motor is mounted up next to the mill motor, so there is no issue with coolant getting on it. All the steppers are shielded as are the ball screws, so high volume flood coolant is not an issue-

Quote Originally Posted by toothandnail View Post
    A little video of our first EVER machining/milling project .

MKA 1919 Forend. - YouTube
    Interesting- I saw your video on the Tormach group doing the same job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo8fD...ature=youtu.be

By my count it took 90 seconds to cut 3 slots with the Patriot and 42 seconds with the Tormach. Looks like both machines could do the job in a single setup.
    A good side by side comparison for those looking at just a mill VS a combo machine.

Man , you guys don't miss much

Yeah we're pretty happy , it's OVER 3 times faster now , and we sped up the spindle 3X on the shopmaster.

the faster travel time helps A LOT as well.

ETA; That was the EXACT same Gcode program, Shopmaster max's out at 10IPM , that was what was slowing us down.

NO real complaints otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by toothandnail View Post
    Man , you guys don't miss much:

NO real complaints otherwise.
    Thank Flatheadford- he monitors the forum real close- I see by your ad that your patriot is a 2008 model. The new ones are quite a bit faster with the center mount ballscrews and 2HP motors- maybe someone will post some video to compare speeds.

Does anyone know a cnc pro that lives in eastern MA that might be interested in wireing my dys design CNC router for me the machine is together and strong. I have all the correct stepping motors, drivers, break out board, wires, control case...
    I have heard of the nightmares people have had with dip switches ect...

I really dont want to blow the board or fry any of the ellectronics.

any help?

George

I am new to machining and to Shopmaster. I spent the last month learning the basics of machining by making myself a knurled and tapered aluminum hammer with brass and stainless ends (to learn as many machining techniques as possible). I have been controlling the feed rates manually but now want to use the power feed. I have a 2012 model and it does not have a gearbox like a traditional lathe. Do I jump into the CNC mode right away (which I ultimately have to do) or is there some intermediate step / function that can get me to power feed using the stepper motors? The manual does not say how to do this and I hate to bug JT with something that might be so basic.

Joe

On the new models, you will need to have your cnc activated to operate the stepper motors. However, for a power feed function the best solution is the remote pendant- also called a manual pulse generator-
    Look on this forum for their ads.

First Project

Many thanks Instructor 37! I did start the CNC Mach III Turn on the machine. Plan to dive into it this weekend.