586,051 active members*
3,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cement Mixer Tumbler - Don't laugh to hard!
Page 1 of 2 12

Cement Mixer Tumbler - Don't laugh to hard!

So I needed to deburr some intricate aluminum parts I am making and they won't come close to fitting into my little vibratory polisher.

I decided to scrounge around and see what I could come up with when I remembered the (old as dirt) cement mixer I had. I really didn't want to tumble the parts against the metal drum so I had to come up with a liner.

I found a burned up wet/dry vacuum cleaner and thought the bottom would be a perfect tub. I marked and cut about 8" off the top of the steel mixer drum and slid the tub in.

I removed the motor from the lid of the vacuum and plugged up the openings. It snaps on nice and tight so no worries about it popping off.

I know it looks like crap but it seems to work. I had fiberglass media on hand so I gave it a shot and after 2 hours my test parts looked pretty good. It isn't much louder then the little vibratory cleaner so I can let it run in the garage and can't hear it upstairs.

Now I am wondering how well it would do polishing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 2.jpg   photo 3.jpg  
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Brilliant! What a great idea, and so simple!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Ok that's cool! I've been really put off by the high price of tumblers. This makes it reasonable.

I've seen those. Also the ones made from a 5 gallon bucket. Seems to work. that's what matters!

Quote Originally Posted by whateg01 View Post
    I've seen those. Also the ones made from a 5 gallon bucket. Seems to work. that's what matters!
    I'm just finishing up a tumbler build that uses a 5 Gallon bucket, will post photos when it's operational!

If I'd had a cement mixer laying around I would have used it! Great idea!

Using a cement mixer is perfect!

If you want a 5 gallon bucket tumbler, this one is really simple to build:

Part Tumbler for Vibratory Finishing on the Cheap « CNCCookbook CNC Blog CNCCookbook CNC Blog

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

One concern I have with that DIY tumbler is the drill-motor power. The drills I've user certainly can't handle 5-hour on-times. So then you have to find a continuous duty motor. Seems like when you're said and done, the cement mixer might be just as cheap!
    However, if you happen to have a drive motor already sitting around, you're golden!

Deburring Aluminum on the cheap! - YouTube

I wanted to do something like this after seeing his before and after results on aluminum. For the price pretty amazing!

Ever find a good price on those "green triangles" he was using in the video?

Also, would one have better luck using water VS dry? I want to deburr some aluminum, but don't want any film left after a water rinse off since they will be getting

powder coated.

Those parts would come out dented. There is not enough media and they separate allowing them to crash into other parts.
    Ji
    Grip It & Rip It

More media better results than?

Been using a cement mixer for a while.

Pictures attached is only 4 hours on a waterjet Titanium part (about 400 of them). Trick is to add a little dish soap to the water. I've since added another .~20lbs of ceramic media.

The parts I plan on doing are roughly the same size.

Any suggestion on where is the best deals on media?

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    The parts I plan on doing are roughly the same size.

Any suggestion on where is the best deals on media?
    I bought all mine USED on eBay.

I missed that Your doing Aluminum, but I ran 100 of the same parts in Aluminum and they worked just as well, I would however go with Eastwood Green Pyramids if you want a less stonewashed look.

I plan on powder coating afterwards. I have to do a rinse off, conversion coating, heated dry, then powder.

Ok, then ceramic media will be what you want. Add Dawn (original dawn) and quite a bit of water. I think you will like the results. The Dawn does 4 things, keeps it degreased, keeps things from sticking together, and provides a little cushion to the part, and keeps the sound muffled, as you will need to put a cover over it, I use a towel and bungie straps, because it will fill with foam.

Awesome. How long do you run it for? Have you installed a timer for it to turn off for running it unattended? Is the harbor freight unit decent enough to run that long (could always swap out motor)? I see HF sells a big and smaller mixer, any preference to drum speed?

Also what shape ceramic, and a place to obtain would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Awesome. How long do you run it for? Have you installed a timer for it to turn off for running it unattended? Is the harbor freight unit decent enough to run that long (could always swap out motor)? I see HF sells a big and smaller mixer, any preference to drum speed?

Also what shape ceramic, and a place to obtain would be awesome!
    Had to quote so I can answer questions, tapatalk....

Aluminum for 3-4 hours, no timer but only because I didn't think of it! I bought the Lowe's mixer, so can only recommend that. I thought the HF drum was shapped different and didn't seem like what I wanted. I've ran the tumbler with probably 100lbs in it for 8 hours, no issues, its not quiet by any means tho. I like bean shapped media from eBay, but depends on your part shape/holes. I get about 3 holes plugged out of 4-500 parts with this shape media. Pyrimid or star shaped ceramic is probably the best, but expensive, its probably faster too.

Well more media than in the video link because aluminium is soft and will dent bruise easy.
    What Bam wrote is what I have also found. He is on the money. Check every few hours just to see if there is any problems. Media getting stuck in holes and such can really slow the job down and shape is the key and the greasy effect the media transfers can make media stick to your parts.
    Ji
    Grip It & Rip It

BAMCNC are you using a mixer with Poly drum or steel drum? Was wondering how the steel holds up over time to the media?

Anyone feel free to add pictures! Love it!

Thanks everyone for the help, really do appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12