586,104 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: lead in/out

lead in/out

hello am new here and am also new to masterCam. i just wondering if any1 in here can help or explain to me about the lead in/out function and how it effect the way we program.
    thanks in advance

They're some great video you can fing on youtube.

Check this one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GurqXngB7oE]mastercam basic milling lesson 12 lead ins outs and finish passes - YouTube[/ame]

Jeff

The feature allows the tool to be positioned away from the selected contour to
    - enable the tool's cutter comp to be taken up ( or cancelled ) before starting against the part - stop the tool plunging/withdrawing while against the part shape
    - tools do "wobble" when plunging down on solid material
    - allows fast plunge rates when not actually cutting, XY feedrate is taken up on the linear moves of the lead in/out

note----many controls require a line move to take up ( or cancel ) comp, the arc is for a softer move into the material to be cut.
    the values depend on the value required to be input into the machine control's D offset
    - if you use IN CONTROL, D is the tool radius, & the lead in/out lines and arcs MUST be larger than the D value
    - if you use WEAR, then D is equal to zero, if the tool used is the same diameter as programmed in Mastercam, lead in/out arc values can be greater or equal to zero.

NOTE #2 .... there must be a linear move on ( & off ) the contour for the tool comp. It can be a tangent or perpendicular move, then the arc component is applied

I tend to use for
    - external contours, WEAR, lead in/out line=2.0mm, arc=2.0mm, arc sweep=45°, tangent - and then adjust to suit the shape, material, etc
    - internal, same settings, but I might change to perpendicular approach , but start at mid point=ON of the 1st entity selected in the chain

Thanks superman and jeff