586,062 active members*
4,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 770 won't keep zero in long runs...

Tormach 770 won't keep zero in long runs...

My Tormach 770 is great, I have cut a lot of plastics with it and it has done its job. But when I do any type of long runs, for example if I wanted to take a piece of 1/8 think plastic, 12 by 7 to cut out 40 or so 2 inch circles out of it, by the time I was 3/4 of the way through the run, one of the axis's (at this time the Y) would lose its zero and studder, then it would continue cutting but I would be off and then I would be cutting circles in wrong spot. Does anyone know why this would happen? Has this happened to anyone else? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

Are you using plenty of way oil? There are a some helpful threads here on the zone to check out the tubing and manifolds going to each of the ways/ballscrews. Found a few loose ferrule nuts on my 1100, which were easily fixed.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey911 View Post
    one of the axis's (at this time the Y) would lose its zero and studder, then it would continue cutting but I would be off and then I would be cutting circles in wrong spot.
    Maybe adjust the gibs. If it's studdering, might be too tight. See your manual on how to adjust.

My oil is flowing pretty good, I will figure out where those nuts are and check them... Thanks for input...

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahcnc View Post
    Are you using plenty of way oil? There are a some helpful threads here on the zone to check out the tubing and manifolds going to each of the ways/ballscrews. Found a few loose ferrule nuts on my 1100, which were easily fixed.

Jim

Okay, I will check the gibs, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Wog View Post
    Maybe adjust the gibs. If it's studdering, might be too tight. See your manual on how to adjust.

When I first got my machine I had a similar problem I. I was Threadmilling 200 parts but every third or fourth one would be out. It turns out my SprutCam was using G41/42 radious compensation. Mach mostly can't handel cutter comp and skips steps. I know some people can get it to work but It cost me the job and I have never tried it again.

We were having similar issues with our 1100. It would "randomly" lose its zero. I would always hear it when it happened and knew it was going to be off.

Ours turned out to be the Post. We had to reformat some of it. After changing the post it has be working perfectly. I got tired of it really quickly and called Tormach. Took them about 3 mins and they had my answer.

FYI, we were not using Sprutcam.

Hi Smokey,

Did you buy your 770 within a few month of being released? If so the control software send with then was not tuned correctly (I think acceleration was set too fast). I know it because I had the same problem on long engraving. The mill would lose position and the z and y axis would start to grind loudly (not the x weirdly). Short program never had this problem. It seemed that the drivers were overheating. Anyway, installing the new tormach controller will fix this problem immediately and for good.

Christian

Had the same problem with our 1100 when new. Tormach was great about sending a new controller to fix it. However, at the end of the day, we discovered that it wasn't hardware. The adobe software loaded on the controller was causing a glitch that would cause the machine to lose steps. Adobe can do some weird things in the background.

The other time I had it happen was with a USB drive that I didn't properly remove from the system before machining.

Try to remove adobe completely and always remove the USB drive from the computer before machining. (Make sure the computer says that it's safe to remove before you do)

Hopefully that will fix the problem if it still exists.

The "Post", can you clarify what you mean, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SPCAS View Post
    We were having similar issues with our 1100. It would "randomly" lose its zero. I would always hear it when it happened and knew it was going to be off.

Ours turned out to be the Post. We had to reformat some of it. After changing the post it has be working perfectly. I got tired of it really quickly and called Tormach. Took them about 3 mins and they had my answer.

FYI, we were not using Sprutcam.

As far as a few months of it being released, I am not sure. I purchased mine in August of 2011, last year). As far as that grinding noise all of a sudden and being out of zero, LOL, that is what I am hear... At that point I know my piece is scrap material, Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by concombrefrais View Post
    Hi Smokey,

Did you buy your 770 within a few month of being released? If so the control software send with then was not tuned correctly (I think acceleration was set too fast). I know it because I had the same problem on long engraving. The mill would lose position and the z and y axis would start to grind loudly (not the x weirdly). Short program never had this problem. It seemed that the drivers were overheating. Anyway, installing the new tormach controller will fix this problem immediately and for good.

Christian

Not sure what you mean by removing the Adobe software on the controller? Can you clarify, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by murphmoose View Post
    Had the same problem with our 1100 when new. Tormach was great about sending a new controller to fix it. However, at the end of the day, we discovered that it wasn't hardware. The adobe software loaded on the controller was causing a glitch that would cause the machine to lose steps. Adobe can do some weird things in the background.

The other time I had it happen was with a USB drive that I didn't properly remove from the system before machining.

Try to remove adobe completely and always remove the USB drive from the computer before machining. (Make sure the computer says that it's safe to remove before you do)

Hopefully that will fix the problem if it still exists.

Post as in Post Processor. We use NX Cad/Cam so had to write our own post for it to output the G-code that the Tormach could read and understand.

As opposed to Sprutcam which already has the correct post built in.

My 770 had been perfect for about 1,000 engraving programs, when it started making a grinding sound last week. It then lost steps on the X and engraved in the same spot ruining the part ($65.00).

Anyway I thought it must be a bad motor or something in the drive system because of the grinding sound. I removed the X motor and everything moved as smooth as butter when turned by hand.

I then started running the motor in and out with the arrow keys on the keyboard, soon enough it started to studder and grind. I thought it must be the motor and went to the computer to order a new one, before I hit send I thought I should wiggle some wires. Sure enough I had a short somewhere. It turned out that the green plug from the motor wires to the microstep drive (little black box) was never tight. I pushed it in and there was a loud click and my problem went away.

Tormach installs adobe pdf reader so that you can view all the pdf files on the computer. Try to uninstall it from your system.

Also, make sure to remove the USB properly from the computer after transferring your post files before starting machining.

It seemed to fix my problems....

Quote Originally Posted by murphmoose View Post
    Tormach installs adobe pdf reader so that you can view all the pdf files on the computer. Try to uninstall it from your system.

Also, make sure to remove the USB properly from the computer after transferring your post files before starting machining.

It seemed to fix my problems....
    I very much doubt the Adobe application itself is a problem. However, the "auto update" feature most certainly CAN be. Try disabling automatic updates for ALL applications, and the OS before uninstalling Adobe.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I will check the wires as well, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by RickPflimlin View Post
    My 770 had been perfect for about 1,000 engraving programs, when it started making a grinding sound last week. It then lost steps on the X and engraved in the same spot ruining the part ($65.00).

Anyway I thought it must be a bad motor or something in the drive system because of the grinding sound. I removed the X motor and everything moved as smooth as butter when turned by hand.

I then started running the motor in and out with the arrow keys on the keyboard, soon enough it started to studder and grind. I thought it must be the motor and went to the computer to order a new one, before I hit send I thought I should wiggle some wires. Sure enough I had a short somewhere. It turned out that the green plug from the motor wires to the microstep drive (little black box) was never tight. I pushed it in and there was a loud click and my problem went away.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SPCAS View Post
    Post as in Post Processor. We use NX Cad/Cam so had to write our own post for it to output the G-code that the Tormach could read and understand.

As opposed to Sprutcam which already has the correct post built in.