585,902 active members*
4,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 Mill Profile for Lathe: Tool table referencing

I'm new at using Mach3. Using the mill profile on a lathe and having difficulty referencing the tool table for wear offset in the X axis. I want to adjust the cut in the X axis by adjusting tool wear. In the program, I reference the tool table with "T1" but nothing happens. I also tried a G41 approach, but no luck. It appears that it doesn't 'see' the tool table at all. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

You can open up mach3 as a lathe and then load the mill screen set to get all 3 DRO's to display. This way you have control over the mill but the features of the tool table for the lathe.

You can copy your mill.xml file and rename it so you won't have to setup the entire machine in lathe mode.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Tool Table in Mill profile

Thanks, Kregan. I'm able to see the Mill interface and DRO, etc, including Tool Table. The problem is that when I reference Tool 1 (T1), for example, from my program, it doesn't seem to have any effect, regardless of the values I place in the tool table.

Quote Originally Posted by JOP View Post
    Thanks, Kregan. I'm able to see the Mill interface and DRO, etc, including Tool Table. The problem is that when I reference Tool 1 (T1), for example, from my program, it doesn't seem to have any effect, regardless of the values I place in the tool table.
    I ran into that at first... for lathe the G-code tool change needs to be in a T0101 format not a simple T1.

the first numbers 01 is tool 1, the second set of numbers is the offset. Not sure I know why Mach does it like that but apparently you can call an offset from another tool number? If to did T0104 it would call tool 1 with offset 4.

Try T0101 in your g code and on the mach screen you can simply type 1 for the tool. Try that and see what happens.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Tool Table referencing

Yes, OK. I have been using the T0101 syntax in the program, but if I'm understanding you correctly, I should use T0103 if I want to reference the 3rd column in the table, yes? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JOP View Post
    Yes, OK. I have been using the T0101 syntax in the program, but if I'm understanding you correctly, I should use T0103 if I want to reference the 3rd column in the table, yes? Thanks again!
    No, the 1010 should work then. For some reason I started with tool 2, 0202 but can not remember why.

I am pretty sure you have to be in a lathe mode in Mach3 for the T0101 tool numbers to work.

Are you just starting mach3 in mill mode or are you starting in lathe mode?

I would double check and start mach in lathe mode with the default lathe screen. Then in the file display area you need to choose 1024.lset screen. I did not see this at first but at the bottom of the screen sets you can choose the file type of .set or .lset. You have to use a .lset screen in lathe mode.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

I just remembered I had a missing file in my mach3 turn folder... it was the m1083.m1s file but that had to do with peck drilling cycles not a tool change.

For your reference:
    Lathe G83 Peck Drilling Problem
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com