586,075 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

What software Y'all using?

OK, i don't have a $1000 to throw at software. I've been using emachineshop for 2D drawings that are good enough for the waterjet guy. What I have are some 3D pieces that need to be turned, and I can create them on emachine, but the output file is not good enough for them to look at.

Thanks,
    CR

For turning, you still only need 2D to draw the profile of the part.

Drawing isn't the problem, it's the machine shop looking at the part and getting dimensions from it. The 2D DXF file I sent them didn't look so hot, and they couldn't import a IGS file either.

While 3D and solid models make the designer's job easier, they do not replace 2D orthographic projection drawings. To get a tool path for a lathe on all the CAM software I know of, all one needs is the 2D profile. If your shop is having trouble visualizing the finished part, sending a graphic, just like you did here is an acceptable way to relate that information. You already indicated your lack of funds to purchase software. The cheapest software I could recommend is free for 2D and minimum of over $2000 for 3D. So, there you have it. See if someone else can offer a better cheaper software. Or, come up with more money.

Take a look at some of these:

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm

You can rent Ashlar Vellum programs by the month. Thats what I did until I could afford a purchase (and I did NOT purchase Ashlar Vellum).

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    Dude, I just watched the video, that's the stuff!!! Looks like I could even import the 2D's that I have and export them to ACAD files...

CR

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    Dude, I just watched the video, that's the stuff!!! Looks like I could even import the 2D's that I have and export them to ACAD files...

CR
    you can download a demo to give it a try , its very functional for what its worth and its worked great for anything that I've used it for so far .
    as it is with anything it takes some time to get used to it

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I didn't see any direct link to a download or demo area on their site so I googled it and found it. You have to fill out a questioner, and they email you the link. It took the better part of an hour to download!!!

It's the V7 version, I guess close enough...

CR

an hour and a stupid questionnaire sounds like a pita
    i don't think there is much difference between versions other than the odd bug fix or what not , i still use version 6 which seems fine ,

Punch makes a very capable product...

Questionare??? Name-email address and a comment.

PunchCad Labs

The download is something like 500+ mb... I guess that speed will vary for different users.

The download links to demos, does only include the 2d/3d version 7 and the pro version 7.

The 2d/3d has been updated to version 8 and has some enhancments... It's only "$99.00"... It will do good solid modeling.. The pro version, $249 will add more advanced surfacing tools and rendering stuff and a multiple viewport.

I tried it last night after it finished the download.... The import export features seem pretty good and that might be worth the price of admission right there...
    I saw upgrades from older to newer versions, I didn't see upgrade from 2d/3d to pro, that would be nice...

CR

I tried it last night after it finished the download.... The import export features seem pretty good and that might be worth the price of admission right there...
    CR
    Yeah, it makes great use of the ACIS kernel! It's Fillet engine is pretty good.

I saw upgrades from older to newer versions, I didn't see upgrade from 2d/3d to pro, that would be nice.
    I was looking for that too. I'm not totally up on whats going on over there... The 2d/3d and pro were both at Version 7 and the 2d/3d was recently upgraded to ver.8. I dont know now the difference and where that leaves the pro 7 standing, whether it has all the latest features, WITH the newest developments, or whether it is the old package. I would like to call them about it. I would like the advanced modeling features added, but dont want the 2 different development cycles on same machine, if thats what it is, as I have Ver. 8 2d/3d. Puch was recently bought out and they seem to be in some transition with their information pipeline (Like the forum I joined when purchasing Ver.8, a newly created forum, has changed) I should probably re-join it and ask some questions over there. FWIW

Thanks for the info Burr.

Do you think I could draw tubular structures with the 2d/3d? Like motorcycle or racecar frames?

It's funny, I was going to take an CAD class but then realized I wouldn't be able to afford the software!!! That's kind of why I was asking... I guess the other issue is every flavor of software is a little bit different....

CR

Some of the CAD classes actually include a student copy of the software. How far that will get you depends on the software I suppose.

Do you think I could draw tubular structures with the 2d/3d? Like motorcycle or racecar frames?
    CR
    Yeah, it will do stuff like that.. It even has a "Tube Surface" command, which will create a tube out of a spline or various curves, with a diameter setting. There is a "Pipe" command which will give a good solid pipe with an outside and inside diameter and do good mitering of continuous line breaks..

Here's a quick video of them.

Pipes in ViaCad - YouTube

It's a pretty amazing package for 99 bucks....

Talk later.

Like BurrMan said " it is amazing for 99 bucks "
    they have a forum which could be of help ViaCAD, Concepts, Shark - Punch! Cad Forums
    it does take a bit to get used to , I've gotten so used to using mastercam to design and model new parts , assemblies and fixturing that I can fly on it , viacad took some getting used to just because things are in different places or work different ways but overall is quite easy to pick up on .

Thanks for the info guys, I did register on viacads website, it never sent me an email to confirm???

Thanks for the vid burr, I'm wondering if the pro version is worth it? I have to get a whole of them and see what the deal is....

CR

Thanks for the info guys, I did register on viacads website, it never sent me an email to confirm???

Thanks for the vid burr, I'm wondering if the pro version is worth it? I have to get a whole of them and see what the deal is....

CR
    Thats where I'm at.. On the forum, there is a sticky that states to email tim to have your account manually activated due to spammers jacking their forum. Log in to the forum and go to the general section and look at the sticky's at the top....

I had the same question, pertaining to 2d/3d v8 and if I am waiting for a v8 pro or not.

The pro version will be worth it if you do "patch modeling" with surfaces as a common method. (Much more advanced). It will have the tools for finishing up a solid with continuity which needs these specialized tools.

Burr thanks for all your help, I got in touch with Tim, and he activated the account.

I ask about pro V8 and got this info:

"The latest version of ViaCAD Pro is V7. We should have a beta going for ViaCAD Pro V8 within the next week."

It looks like the best option for me is to buy the 2d3d v8 now, and worry about if I need the pro version later, hopefully they will offer an upgrade.

CR

Page 1 of 3 123