586,115 active members*
3,411 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

USB stick Help

I am using a 3 axis haas mill and i transfer program from memory stick(USB) to machine, it has stopped working for me now giving me a 197 misc software error. PLease Help.

Did you try a different USB drive yet?

Ya, iv got 4 memory sticks and it doesnt work with any of them, it actually only reads one of the sticks which is also weird as it used to read all 4 of them

Did you allow a Windows PC to "Scan and fix" any of the USB drives at any point in time? Windows has a bad habit of reformatting USB drives so they will not work on Haas.

Try a new one, make sure it's only 4 gig or less. No auto stuff on it. I've had some issues from time to time. Using old version (el cheapo at the local Fry's) an small capacity sticks cured the problem.

When all else failed, I rebooted the machine and then things worked for a while. Then I started using the stocks I have now......

They are also sensitive to static discharge. Always ground yourself to the machine before inserting the drive. Try cycling the power off/on and see if they start working again. If they do, it was because of the static charge.

BTW, size of the memory stick does not matter. I use a 16GB with no problems.

They put the "upgraded harness" in my SMM and it was supposed to fix the grounding issue. It didn't fix the problem, so in my case it wasn't a grounding issue....

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    They are also sensitive to static discharge. Always ground yourself to the machine before inserting the drive. Try cycling the power off/on and see if they start working again. If they do, it was because of the static charge.

BTW, size of the memory stick does not matter. I use a 16GB with no problems.
    I was told by the local HFO tech support guy there was a recommended list of USB sticks, and none of them were over 4 gig.

I use a 16GB with no problems.
    Just sayin!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    I was told by the local HFO tech support guy there was a recommended list of USB sticks, and none of them were over 4 gig.
    So what was on the list?

So what was on the list?
    I'd have to find it - I remember one of the suggestions was the Kingston Data Traveler in the 2 and 4 gig.

It's quite frustrating - I had them (local HFO) here at least 3 times when the machine was under warranty trying to fix it. It hasn't locked up lately... but it always happened at the worst time. Friday morning or afternoon, trying to get a job out.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    but it always happened at the worst time. Friday morning or afternoon, trying to get a job out.
    Always happens that way.(chair)

I don't use mine daily, but no problems as long as I remember to ground myself first. Also, mine is an HP brand 16GB.

I have a Kingston 4 gig, an Ativa 4 gig, and one of the Haas supplied 1 gig and they all work just fine. I have never tried my Lexar 64 gig because I have it dedicated for other purposes.