586,075 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What should be the height of Router base?

Hello,
    I would like to know what is the recommended height to set the gantry from the table.
    My Z axis has a 4" travel. Would like to get some help in knowing what should be the distance between the base of the router ( without a bit on it) and the table at it lowest travel ( down.. I hope I explain myself)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodworksfla View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to know what is the recommended height to set the gantry from the table.
    My Z axis has a 4" travel. Would like to get some help in knowing what should be the distance between the base of the router ( without a bit on it) and the table at it lowest travel ( down.. I hope I explain myself)
    Thanks
    The pros on the site will be more helpful, but I have about 7" between the bottom of the gantry and the center of the A axis and about 6" to the table top. This defines the thickest part I can machine. The Z axis has about 9" of travel from the lowest point to the top. At the upper most point, a short bit will be about 6" from the table top.

I don't know if there is a "recommended" height. It depends on the size of the material you will be working. My 6" clearance is more than I need and next year I will probably reduce the height by 2". The thickest material I cut is around 2" so a clearance height of about 4" should be sufficient. It will also reduce the distance the router extends below gantry.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dave

Well I am anything but a pro at this cnc stuff, but here is my $.02.

I totally agree it all depends on what you will be cutting. Shorter is always better. And of course it depends on the travel on your Z axis and the mount for your spindle. The Z axis I will be using has 5" of travel. I made the mount so I tried to get it as high as possible.

Here a few pictures that might help. The wooden pieces are mock ups to see how it all would work together (easy to mill and lots cheaper than aluminum).

One more thing (sorry if this seems very obvious); I picked a bit I thought represented the average length, to figure things out with. I wanted the bit to not bump into anything when the z axis was all the way up and I also want the bit to be in the work material before the z axis bottomed out.

No doubt about it there are definite trade-offs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z axis attached 2.JPG   z axis attached 3.JPG   DSCN0342.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by woodworksfla View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks
    It depends on the design of your Z cariage, what your spindle "overhang" is, clearance you need for fixtures, clamps, spoilboards, jigs or fixtures, etc.

As a function of height, the bearing spread on your gantry legs would typically be wider, the higher your gantry bridge is.

I cut a lot of thin sheet goods and prefer the collet to be as close to the work as possible, using stub bits, yet still have room to cut thick stock (2"+)...