586,430 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam for Solidworks users please step in

Mastercam for Solidworks users please step in

We got caught up in the HSMWorks purchase by Autodesk recently :violin:, and are currently evaluating other CAM packages... When initially evaluating packages I looked at MasterCAM for Solidworks X5, but unfortunately went with HSMWorks instead.. I am re-evaluating MC for SW now, and just wondered what some of your thoughts were on the package, if you are happy with it, and if you would purchase it again?

Thanks!

I used it for a few months for 2.5d only and it was a pleasure to learn. I had very little CAM experience before using it and was programing parts within a few days. The dynamic feature is really nice: change a feature and (most of the time) the tool paths would automatically update to match.

Information on it is much more limited than on full MC and the shop owner wanted to do more 3D and had money to burn so he bought X5 (with my nudging). That took a month or two to get caught back up. Importing solids and learning to create new layers for EVERYTHING took a little getting used to, and but eapprentice net made it learn able on my own - - plus a lot of questions here. Eapprentice net has a section on MC4SW too which was helpful.

Having used X5 for almost a year I now do 70% of my CAD right in MC and only use SW if customers need prints back, for assemblies, and on (my own) OEM parts as I know they will need constant changing through the development process.

I don't know what levels are available for MC4SW but we had no 3D avd I was actually using cambam for our 3D work when we needed it. If you are a solidworks user the MC4SW learning curve will be very small but it isn't as powerful as MCX5.We have no maintenance package so I will be on X5 forever more than likely so I can't give any input on X6.

I have used it, but I am a little bias as I am a big mastercam user and trainer.
    So I want to ask you what you are not liking about what you have and what you are looking for in the MC4SW so I may answer some thoughts. I have both Mastercam and MC4SW.

PriddyShiddy thanks for the Eapprentice plug.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by MBX5 View Post
    We got caught up in the HSMWorks purchase by Autodesk recently :violin:, and are currently evaluating other CAM packages... When initially evaluating packages I looked at MasterCAM for Solidworks X5, but unfortunately went with HSMWorks instead.. I am re-evaluating MC for SW now, and just wondered what some of your thoughts were on the package, if you are happy with it, and if you would purchase it again?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    I have used it but I am a little bias as I am a big mastercam user and trainer.
    So I want to ask what you are not likeing about what you have and what you are looking for in the MC4SW so I may anser some thoughts. I have both Mastercam and MC4SW.

PriddyShiddy thanks for the Eapprentice plug.
    I am just guessing, but I would say he did not like the price of MasterCam for Solidworks as opposed to the price of HSMWorks for Solidworks.

Look up Mastercam dropping Volumill. You don't want to jump out of the pot and into the fire.

John