586,075 active members*
3,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Need HELP connecting Hypertherm 105 to Breakout Board

Need HELP connecting Hypertherm 105 to Breakout Board

I Need HELP connecting Hypertherm 105 to Breakout Board

I have no Idea at all.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
    My wife would also appreciate it as it would get me out of the garage. lol

Nobody Knows????

What do you want to connect...? Also are your inputs on the board sinking(require ground) or sourcing(require power)?

Quote Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
    What do you want to connect...? Also are your inputs on the board sinking(require ground) or sourcing(require power)?

I need to connect the trigger to the board in order for Mach 3 to control the plasma on/off.

The inputs on the board require ground.

Thank for responding.

Do you know the pins for the Hypertherm? If so, take one of the arc start wires and connect it to one of the outputs and connect the other to ground. Then you will have to connect that output to M3 in Mach3 which I am not sure how that is done.

The "arc ok" is done by connecting one of the wires to an input and the other to a ground and then setting that input accordingly in Mach3.

Here is a page from the manual that tell about the wires.
    I also need to connect the motion wires somewhere.

On mine that I just set up, I have pin 3 going to ground and pin 4 going to an output. For arc ok-motion I have pin 14 going to ground and pin 12 going to an input. I use Linuxcnc though so thats about as far as I can get you. Pin 3 and 14 are grounded because your break out board requires a ground signal.

IAT welding machine Co.,Ltd, based on China, mainly facous on exporting and manufacturing plastic pipe welding machine, like butt welding machine, butt fusion machine, fitting welding machine...etc, heavily involved in pipe welding machine industry.

Thank You very much

Quote Originally Posted by HIDesigns View Post
    I Need HELP connecting Hypertherm 105 to Breakout Board

I have no Idea at all.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
    My wife would also appreciate it as it would get me out of the garage. lol

For "torch on" function you need to connect one of the output to a relay

It doesnt need a relay, its a grounding signal and no power is going through it so no worry of a spike.

It doesnt need a relay, its a grounding signal and no power is going through it so no worry of a spike.
    That's very good to know.

Absolute BS.

Plasma workclamp is NOT GROUND. It is positive 110 to 160 VDC. Although the torch fire circuit is not referenced to the workclamp there is lots of stray energy in the system, enough to cause damage to a logic level drive circuit. If you hook the "ground" side of the circuit to your (hopefully buffered) non-isolated outputs it connects the internal plasma circuit ground to your PC ground through that tiny connection.

Use a set of relay contacts to fire the torch (across the START pair). Fire the relay FROM the BOB. A relay gives you total isolation from the control side to the plasma side. It should be easy to power a relay from a BoB (good ones have relay(s) built in). Never use logic level signals to interface to noisy industrial equipment.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

The hypertherm arc start isnt direct...

The hypertherm arc start isnt direct...
    Never said it was, but if the internal circuit is referenced to ground though it's power supply and you have a poor ground to the plasma (105 unit is 3P power and may not have a CLEAN safety ground) then you have a potential source of noise and spikes back to you driver circuit. Negative spikes greater than .6 volts will destroy most TTL logic and even buffer devices without protection. Semiconductors really hate it when you try to force reverse current flow through them! Consider the amount of power involved in piercing and cutting metal at 100A a few inches from circuits that will trip on less than a volt of change and that may burn out at voltages above 5V or from negative spikes.

It may work fine forever or work for a while then melt down. Do this around an HF start or CD start unit and it will fry everything not isolated. If you are lucky the BoB has true isolation (different power and common on the inputs) to save the port on your PC (and even the MotherBoard in some cases)..
    We run 100% isolated on everything and on a couple of the import plasmas had them blow the FET relay drivers (rated at 65VDC and with freewheeling diodes) back in the control cabinet. We have since put in TVS suppressors across the driver power.

For a couple of bucks you can avoid having to live out on the edge. Seems like really logical advice.

There is no substitute for experience.

TOMCaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Ok well you continue to isolate everything and I will leave mine hooked direct. If power comes from the high voltage side to the spot the arc start is I think I have other things to worry about then whether a $5 parallel port card died.

If you are going to worry about everything that could happen if something fails you might as well not even get out of bed...might trip and die. What if the relay sticks? Now the torch is always on now you can worry about that fluke happening too.

How about the Mach3 setup?

If your BoB vendor did not provide you with a MACH setup file (profile) than you are going to have to sit down and sort it out (or find someone that has that exact same card and is using MACH3 and get their Profile to start from) While the same pins on a parallel port are used for outputs (typically 2 - 9 are for step & Dir and 1, 14, 16 and 17 for other outputs) what goes where and does what is up to the guy that designed the card..

Re: Need HELP connecting Hypertherm 105 to Breakout Board

Hi. I had the same problem earlier but my own inspiration I came to connect parts like this, I hope it helps you