586,096 active members*
3,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Ballscrews from eBay Vendor - Quality??

Ballscrews from eBay Vendor - Quality??

I'm posting this so people can judge what to expect in terms of quality from eBay vendors.
    I purchased these very recently from "linearmotionbearings2008" via eBay (but not listed) after reading some good reviews not only from here and other sites but his high feedback on eBay.
    While I wasn't expecting the parts (bearing blocks) to arrive like the shiny anodized look of the pics you see, I wasn't quite expecting this either. They are usable I admit.
    In a word; Disappointing.

The ballscrews are acceptable even though one of them has spots of rust along it's length.
    One runs quite rough/tight while the other is smooth. The tight seems to have "-12" engraved on the ball nut which would make sense.

You judge for yourself on the quality before you commit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00139.jpg   DSC00140.jpg   DSC00141.jpg   DSC00142.jpg  

DSC00143.jpg   DSC00145.jpg   DSC00147.jpg   DSC00150.jpg  

I know a lot of the guys here like LMB, and he does kits for the grizzly's, etc, but that's pretty much how my ballscrews looked when they turned up. I have to admit the packing of them left me fairly shocked, there's the casual approach Chinese sellers have on Ebay which you do expect to a certain degree given the amazing price differences, and then there's the disgusting and carefree attitude with packing that LMB has. My last lot was some 9' ballscrews that arrived very badly damaged as they wrapped them in a single (yes- SINGLE) layer of bubble wrap, and tied them together, and wrapped in a single layer of paper wrapping, so they moved and smashed against each other all the way here to OZ! I can't even imagine how hard it must have been for them to wrap a single layer of bubble wrap around it, and tape it up at the seam? Common sense would say wrap it a few times around to be safe.

I need some more but haven't been able to bring myself to order from them again. And probably never will again if I can avoid it. The response wasn't very good, but I should have just lodged a paypal complaint and be done with it, it's just not acceptable, and if I were you, that's exactly what I'd do in this case.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Ian,

Thanks for your comments.
    The story of your purchase is worrying.
    For mine, I think the packing was quite poor but not as bad as yours. My two ballscrews were wrapped up together in some bubble wrap but at least they were in a box albeit flimsy.
    The dings (some pretty heavy hits?) you see on the ballscrew end bearings look to me from the very low quality material that was used to make them and not as a result of postage. They look used but I don't think they are because there are huge chips left from the drill inside the holes.

I cannot mount a claim on eBay because they were a special travel I needed and was done outside eBay but I did use PayPal.
    I will never consider buying from LMB again but also think three or four times before I consider one of the other low proced Chinese ballscrew vendors.
    It's my own fault really. Unfortunately he doesn't get the neg f/b from me.
    Too bad for him there is CNCZone.

Now given the price/quality they are just barely acceptable but I believe they are usable ..... I think.
    We will see when I manage to mount them.
    BTW, by my eye, the holes in the mounting blocks/bearings look to be ... placed poorly!

Speak to your bank and explain the situation, it's quite possible they'll help wuth a charge back, paypal will be pi**ed at that but stuff them if they won't or can't help you! Don't forget, all business and Ebay transactions are covered under OZ trade practices, fit for use, etc!

Cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Come to think of it Ian, you could be right about the blocks I said were "new". They prob got banged up shipped to someone and then returned in that state.
    (chair)

I will think about a charge back.

Regards,
    Mark

I used to let a lot of Ebay stuff slide as the items were cheap, but when your talking this sort of rubbish condition, don't feel bad at giving them a bit of grief to egt some level of satisfaction. It simply isn't acceptable. I wish I had've been a bit harder when mine were sent at the time. Just looking at them gives me the s***s! Especially when they cost me so much as they did.

cheers,
    Ian