586,103 active members*
3,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Velox CNC

Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonAtom View Post
    Just remembered that i started this thread but didn't follow up on it yet.

So far so good with the Velox. Ron made me a special design with a travel size of 18" X 36" to accomodate my shop space. I have been using it a lot to make cabinetry for guitar amps with very good results. It seems very precise, is easy to use, and the build quality is excellent. I've machined some plastics with it, and done a bunch of pcbs (well, I guess I should call them RCBs, right - routed circuit boards?). Everything I've done on it has come out great, except for one thing...

I've been cutting some 0.025" anodized aluminum sheeting (for control panels for guitar amps), and I've had some difficultly in getting the thin sheet to lay flat. If it pops up a little off the board, the cutout ends up a little warped/not straight. This is more a problem with how I've done my setup than the a problem with the Velox machine though. It hasn't had any problems cutting holes or making outlines in the aluminum.

Anyone have any recs on how to hold down thin aluminum sheet? I have read where some people lay a thin sheet of playwood over it and just mill through that. I've tried double stick tape and it sorta kinda works, but not really.

Also, any recs on good endmills for cutting thin aluminum? I have read that 2-flute is better than 3- or 4-flute for aluminum. I used a 1/8" end mill from precisebits and the chips jammed the bit and basically ruined a piece for me... guess I need to read up a bit more on feed rates and RPM.

Mason
    Make a fixture for your thin panels, where you can use bolts or screws though your drilled holes to hold down the sheet before you do any profile cuts. A rubber washer under a fender washer works really well. Use a single-flute spiral-O bit; I recommend Onsrud 65 series (Super-O). Expensive, but the best IMO for CNC routers.

Re: Velox CNC

Looking for a larger machine, looking at the Velox 4x4. Something that concerns me is the ball screws appear to be shallow threads and are exposed to dust. Has anyone found this to be a problem.

Al V.

I ordered the large gantry kit from Velox .....and sooooo far the service has been limited and poor. "10-20 lead time" its now day 30 and no comfirmation,no emails.....and no gantry. I was told the ship out was going to be the 27th???? Yet to be seen.
    My emails seem to get answered the 2-3rd time of a request and im a driver so calling isn't a option. I did request a few options but 30 days is plenty..hell I can piece together the kit with 30 days and 1600.00$ if I had the time.

I hate voicing this to the world and I did give the benefit of the doubt on the reviews but delays seen to be par.

J

Day 43 received the Z axis,well packed,excellent quality BUT no "what Ill be calling the" Y axis. Was told it would follow shortly..asked for tracking number reply was" expect delivery by the 23rd which would put that at 53 days. Kinda wish its was sent by my original request of UPS..whatever the cost.

I will give credit where its due.

To be continued
    Jas

Quote Originally Posted by JasC View Post
    I ordered the large gantry kit from Velox .....and sooooo far the service has been limited and poor. "10-20 lead time" its now day 30 and no comfirmation,no emails.....and no gantry. I was told the ship out was going to be the 27th???? Yet to be seen.
    My emails seem to get answered the 2-3rd time of a request and im a driver so calling isn't a option. I did request a few options but 30 days is plenty..hell I can piece together the kit with 30 days and 1600.00$ if I had the time.

I hate voicing this to the world and I did give the benefit of the doubt on the reviews but delays seen to be par.

J

Page 2 of 2 12