587,036 active members*
2,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Enco/RF30 CNC plans?

Hey Guys,

First off, yes, I have searched, and searched, and searched some more...

I have an Enco round column mill-drill that I have owned for about 15 years. I've decided that it is time to convert it to CNC. I'm looking for a set of plans for the brackets and ball screws. I have seen the plans offered by Jeff at homecnc.info and I really like his Z axis setup, but I'd like to see if there are any others available before I get started.

I do not want to buy another machine to convert. I understand the limitations of this machine and it is fine for the parts I make. I'm hoping to keep it under $1500 if I do the bulk of the work. I have a 12x36 lathe too, so I can cut/thread the ball screws if needed, but it looks like I can get a set make for around $150.

Thanks,

Chris

A member here named "Kregan" ran a converted RF30 for a while and might still. I have seen a few on the Yahoo groups too.

Yes, I saw Kregan's thread. Actually, I am using it as basis for my build, but I thought I would check to see if there were any other designs for the brackets before I ordered the plans. I like the idea of tucking the Y axis stepper under the table. I saw a picture of that in one thread, so I thought I'd ask before I start cutting.

Just remember, that it seems that each of these machines have different bolt spacings, etc. Most of your brackets/mounts will have to be custom fit for YOUR machine. Found that one out the hard way!
    The biggest mistake that I made was to mount my X axis bracket for my servo flush with the end of the table and facing parallel to the Y axis. This limited my X travel by about an inch and a half. "Most" of the time it doesn't matter, but there are those few times that I really could have used that little extra travel. My Y axis is also underneath the machine with the servo pointed towards the back of the machine. I don't get hit in the gut or elsewhere by the motor and it is also protected from swarf/coolant.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks Bubba. All good advice. Especially the fact that each machine is slightly different.

I like how you mounted the Y axis motor blow the mill. It gets it out of the way and it is simpler to make than offsetting it below the table. I'll have to look at it. I'm also thinking about moving the X axis motor to the front of the table. I've got a limited amount of width to work with and I'm probably going to enclose the machine sides once I get it CNC'ed. On one side of my mill I have a stand up compressor and my lathe tail stock is on the other side.

Chris
    I have some "sketches" in cad that your welcome to if you want. PM me your email and I will ship it out to you.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    Thanks Bubba. All good advice. Especially the fact that each machine is slightly different.

I like how you mounted the Y axis motor blow the mill. It gets it out of the way and it is simpler to make than offsetting it below the table. I'll have to look at it. I'm also thinking about moving the X axis motor to the front of the table. I've got a limited amount of width to work with and I'm probably going to enclose the machine sides once I get it CNC'ed. On one side of my mill I have a stand up compressor and my lathe tail stock is on the other side.
    Have a look at the conversion I'm currently doing on my TM20VL. The machine base is similar to the RF range.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...f20_g0704.html

I have the X motor mounted in front so it clears everything and doesn't reduce the travel. The Y axis is tucked in to the side off the base so it doesn't stick out of the front of the mill.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Chris,
    Roland Freistad wrote a buld series on the G1005, starting in the Jan/Feb 2002 issue of The Home Shop Machinist and concluding in the Jul/Aug issue. I modeled my Rong-Yu RY-30 conversion based upon his series and have been satisfied with the results. I am looking to improve upon it with the type of Z-axis drive you mentioned on HomeCNC Technologies Introduction. As others have stated, your dimensions will vary.
    Craig

Change of plans

Well last night I found a buyer for my mill drill. I decided it would be better to start with a square column machine. Right now I am looking at the Grizzly G0463 with the CNC Fusion ball screw and mount kit. That way I can make parts right away instead of working on the machine for a couple months.

The parts I make for my business are all less than 1/4" thick and usually 6061 or 7075. My sales are pretty low so if I can pop out 25 pieces in a couple hours here and there I am golden.

Change of plans

Double post

Your choice of the DM2400 will suit you well.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Thanks Fastest1!