586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > smoothing surface

smoothing surface

Hello,
    Would any savvy Bobcaders be able to tell me how to smooth the surface on this file? In addition can you tell me how to make the surface all one piece. When extruded all the pieces are separate. I tried boolean add. I tried to stitch the surfaces to a solid.....Any help would be greatly appreciated..bbcd file attached-
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is your cleaned up model.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    Here is your cleaned up model.
    Thanks Sean.
    I can't see the difference.....maybe you uploaded the original file ot I'm just confused..
    Actually I need to know how to clean it up.,,,,,,

Try this one

thanks sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    Try this one
    Thanks Sean,
    It seems I may have saved it wrong or done something weird. I have Bobcad V24, build 208 if it matters and it says the file was saved in a newer version and can't be opened.

I do appreciate your time but I'm more interested in knowing how to clean up or smooth a drawing than just seeing this particular drawing finished.

Thanks

You just extract the outer edges and use the skin function on the extracted edges after deleting the previous geometry.

Anyone?

I appreciate Sean's help but it's spoken to someone who already knows how to get the job done so to speak...

I assume you use the "extract a single edge" function. When I do this I don't see an edge or any difference in the drawing. I have extracted and deleted the surface and or blanked the surface and I still can't see anything different.
    All the line are still separate. If I use only the outer edge to fill the surface how will the concave be seen?

I know the BC guys are pretty busy so if any one can expand just a little bit on what Sean was trying to relay to me it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Lets see if I can help.Start off by going over where the layers are and right click,pick add new layer.Name it xtrac edges and make it active.It will be active when red check mark is besides it.Go to utilities and pick extract edges from solid.Left click your solid,then right click ok.Now go over to layers and turn your cad layer off,by left clicking the box.Now in the layers column,right click,add new layer.Name that one skin.Make that layer active.OK,now you should have your cad layer unchecked,your xtrac should be box with black dot and your skin should be red checked and box with black dot.Go to surfaces/skin.Instead of me going thru the motions here,refer to Help,its staight forward.Note:You will have to pick the outside lines,one at a time in the right order and sequence.Check Help.Your almost done.Piece of cake.Post back if problems skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by vpl View Post
    If I use only the outer edge to fill the surface how will the concave be seen?!
    Using the skin on "just the outer edges" will alter the actual shape a bit, but produce one, contiguous surface.

If the little segments that run through the center are specifically defined points, that need to be adhered to, then you may need a program like Rhino, that can do a more accurate rebuild at the surface level.

Looking at your file, you have the Surface shading accuracy turned way down, which will have it appear rougher than it is. Go to preferences-part-display and crank the shading quality up towards the right. This will give a more accurate representation of the surface (if you want this to be set like this in all drawings, do this in the default also, for future files.

If what you want to do is "extrude" the surface up, you can extrude just the outer edges up, then copy the bottom surface to the top and stitch them all together.

thanks jrmach! & BurrMan

jrmach, thank you- I fully understand the process. Your step by step was perfect. No issues getting the skin on!

BurrMan. Always helpful. You answered my next question before I knew what it was....You guys are the best!!!

happy chips ahead....

Good point on the shading Burr.I did not catch that.When/If you ever start teaching Bob,ha,ha,ha,no seriously,I want to sign-up.