586,395 active members*
2,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam 4th axis interesting part

Mastercam 4th axis interesting part

Howdy folks! I mostly lurk around here, but I have run across a problem with a part and I hope one of you fine folks will have run across something similar.

I'm working on the programing for this part using Mastercam Mill X4 MU3, mill level 2. It has two grooves inside of a slot that some wire needs to lay into... I'm planing to cut them with a full radius slotting cutter (as can be seen in the part file). Most of the segments are fairly straight forward, either with the center of the arc coinciding with the center of the part (and coincidentally the center of the rotation of my A axis) for which I can use axis substitution or in straight segments, so I can use axis positioning.

Near the exit however there are two radii which is where I'm trying to figure out the best approach. It seems like I should be able to use a 'true' four axis tool path to cut them, but I don't have access to Mastercam Multiaxis. Is there a way to cut that with Mill level 2?
    I'm not worried about the "backwash" of the cutter etc. The tolerances are pretty loose and the piece is plastic.

For what its worth this is on a HAAS VF3 (vertical mill), and I'll be running the part myself.

Feel free to leave any feed back on the rest of the part too... thanks a bunch!!

Nate
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are talking about these undercuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails undercuts.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

The important feature is the 'full depth' part directly adjacent to the undercuts. The undercuts are where the engineer who made this drawing assumed the cutter would cut some excess material as it made the radius.

So, the feature is "allowed for manufacture", but not required?

Correct, the undercut is allowed but not necessary... see the attached picture for a bit more clarity (I hope!)

I'm open to other suggestions too, if there is a better way to approach this part!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radiusScreenShot.JPG  

Then do not cut that feature if it is not needed. Sort of like the run out lane for trucks on mountain highways. If they do need it, they do not use it. If they try to go beyond its boundary, they crash anyway.

Sometimes when I am programming for 4th axis, I construct new geometry and drive the center line of the tool. Then I can force the tool path I want without regard to what MasterCam tries to do automatically.

The two areas I indicated in the last post are necessary. If you can see the tool paths I have in the file you'll see where they intersect at that corner there is not a full depth cut, and that full depth part is necessary for the wire to sit in.

Interesting part indeed and I think you've done a great job on it. I don't see how you can do this without the full 4th option though. I'll be staying tuned to see what the power users come up with.