586,082 active members*
3,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Arc on X/Z axis?

Arc on X/Z axis?

I need to machine a number of billet aluminum "Deadeyes". Deadeyes are the blocks you see on old sailboats used to adjust tension on the lines that hold the mast up before turnbuckles came along. The lashings require 4 holes with an arc on the X-Z axis for a fair lead. I am using D2NC and have to edit the g-code to change the working plane and add the radius. Errors in this edit have lead to some rather interesting shapes to say the least.

Can Cambam handle this?

Try posting this on the CamBam forum.

CamBam - Index

Dave

Thanks. I downloaded the demo and as a long time D2NC user I am very impressed with Cambam. .

I have used CamBam for a few years now and continue to be impressed with it's capabilities for the price point. And a new release should be out for testing soon with even more capability.

Don

Looks like Cambam can do what I need on the lashing holes. Now I just need to build a rotary A axis or a kludge of some kind to undercut the cove around the perimeter for for the main rope to ride in.

hello Gashmore,

yes, CamBam can do this in two ways. First is that you draw arc or circle in xy plane and tourn it around with the translation matrix.
    Problem is that the toolpath is not correct. Because this you have to use a arc or circle with many nodes. Use -> draw -> point list -> divide geometry -> with a high value to draw many points.
    This pointlist you can convert to polyline (ctrl+P).
    With a arc like this it works.
    Different method is to draw the arc or circle in xy plane. Than generate toolpath and with the selected toolpath there is also a translation matrix where you can turn only the toolpath.

look at this video