586,075 active members*
4,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > New lathe owner .need assistance

New lathe owner .need assistance

Hello, i just picked up my first lathe , It is a small 7x14 real bull metal lathe . Excited to start learning.

So far i picked up the A2z tooling kit from littlemachineshop.It includes

-Quick change tool post with 2 turniing holders , boring holder and a cut off holder
    -1/2" drill chuck and short arbor
    -boring bar set
    -parting blade
    -set of indexable turning tools includes 5 tools (TAR, TAL, TBR, TBL, TE), inserts, a wrench, and extra screws.
    -4 center drills

I also bought seperate
    -Mt2 3 bearing live center
    -dial indicator with magnetic stand
    -thread gauges
    -internal threading bar(not indexable)
    -cheap threading bar (not indexable)

stuff i already have
    115 pieces HSS dril bit set
    various digital and analog calipers
    cheap HF turning bars
    a bunch of aluminum and delring bar stock for practicing

Can you tell me what else i will need. Can i do threading with the stuff i have? I wanted to get another indexable threading bar but they were like 85.00 from lms . Can i get one cheaper somewhere. I really want to learn how to turn threads. Also will i need a special tool holder for threading to fit the qctp or can i use like the turning holders? Also i would like to get a cheap knurling tool that works and eventually a 4jaw chuck. Please let me know of anything else i may need to get started .Thanks

To turn threads you just need a tool with a 60 degree angle. If you don't have one in your kit you can buy a HSS cutting tool blank for $2 and grind your own profile. You would hold it in of your two standard "turning holder" for your QCTP.

Your 2 standard turning tool holders for the QCTP are not going to be enough once you get some tools. Minimum you will want one for a left hand tool and one for a right hand tool. Those are the tools you will be switching between constantly. You will also want one for threading, one for finish cuts, maybe one for adding a radius to edges, etc, etc. You're fine for now but you will want more eventually.

Here's some things to consider about getting more tool holders:
    -They are a super easy milling project. Don't buy 10 extra tool holders if you are planning on getting a mill in the foreseeable future.
    -Tool holders are interchangeable between a lot of QCTPs. Find out what fits, its lets you broaden your search on ebay for a deal.

If you want to do any long skinny projects down the road you might need a steady rest and/or follower rest.

I would buy an assortment of HSS cutting tool blanks in a few different sizes. They are about $2 a pop. You can resharpen them with a bench grinder. You can grind any shape you want. They don't chip like carbide when you bump something you shouldn't have. I find myself grinding weird shaped tools all the time. I don't see the value in carbide in the home shop on import machines.

Quote Originally Posted by hndswthtshdws View Post
    To turn threads you just need a tool with a 60 degree angle. If you don't have one in your kit you can buy a HSS cutting tool blank for $2 and grind your own profile. You would hold it in of your two standard "turning holder" for your QCTP.

Your 2 standard turning tool holders for the QCTP are not going to be enough once you get some tools. Minimum you will want one for a left hand tool and one for a right hand tool. Those are the tools you will be switching between constantly. You will also want one for threading, one for finish cuts, maybe one for adding a radius to edges, etc, etc. You're fine for now but you will want more eventually.

Here's some things to consider about getting more tool holders:
    -They are a super easy milling project. Don't buy 10 extra tool holders if you are planning on getting a mill in the foreseeable future.
    -Tool holders are interchangeable between a lot of QCTPs. Find out what fits, its lets you broaden your search on ebay for a deal.

If you want to do any long skinny projects down the road you might need a steady rest and/or follower rest.

I would buy an assortment of HSS cutting tool blanks in a few different sizes. They are about $2 a pop. You can resharpen them with a bench grinder. You can grind any shape you want. They don't chip like carbide when you bump something you shouldn't have. I find myself grinding weird shaped tools all the time. I don't see the value in carbide in the home shop on import machines.
    Thanks you really helped with a few things i was wondering about. Nows the dumb question stage for me but im a quick learner and have been reading and reading watching vid after vid for a while now.Most times they dont explain the little stuff though which is what i always like to get a grasp of. Its nice to know QCTP's will accept other brand tool holders . Is there anything i should look for or are they all a standard size dovetail?

I have been reading up on grinding my own tools. You mention cutting different shapes . Do you have a guide on shapes i can do or is it just experiment til you find something. I know a lot of times id want to do a profile/contour by hand a grinding to different shapes sounds like a good way to do that expecially if i want to do rounded edging instead of angle cuts.

I will be getting a steady rest eventually. It wasnt on my list of priorities since im mainly going to be working with short length 1/2"-3/4" stock to start.

There should be a tool in my set that is 60degree . I think its a TE. I was reading somewhere someone stated it is a treading tool but not great for threading which through me off. Im also still trying to get a grasp of the abbreviations TAR , TAL , TBR , TBL etc . I know the r and l is left and right but thats about it. Also tools come in different sizes like 1/4",3/8",1/2" and up for bigger lathes. What determines what size you should use ? I do know obviously the bigger the more rigid and less chatter it would have but is that all?

Thanks for all the help.

There are a few different size QCTP, 0XA, AXA, BXA, etc I'm not 100% on this but I would think all AXA holders fit all AXA tool posts.

There are lots of websites with information how to grind lathe cutting tools. Once you understand the required angles you can grind shapes that you want. Its really not very hard. I have tools with different radius tips for roughing and finishing, different rakes for different metals. I have a few one time use tools such as for undercutting shoulders to make captured rings. I tried a shear tool for machining guide rods. If you understand the basics of tool grinding and whats possible; you will be able to imagine the tools you need.

I bought A.R. Warner tooling from LMS and have never looked back, I use them in the A2Z QCTP, but I hear there is a better one LMS sells now for tool holder, you won't find better tooling than A.R. Warner for our mini lathes though.

The AWwarner tools do look nice but are pricey. Expecially getting started where im going be doing a lot of practicing.

I am thinking of sending the A2z back before i use it and exchanging it for the 0XA tool post. I didnt see notice the 0XA fit the same as the A2z post when i bought it .

The differences from what i read is A2z is aluminum where 0XA is steel. OXA is also a wedge type which i hear is better and excepts AXA and other tool posts where the A2z doesnt. Also comes with another tool holder.

Can anyone shed some light if i should exchange it.The 0XA is 30.00 more.

Also when making oring grooves on the lathe do i use a parting tool? Im guessing i would need different thicknesses?

One other question i was wondering was is there any good bolt on cnc conversions for 7x14 mini lathes?

O-rings, make your own tool.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    O-rings, make your own tool.
    Would i be grinding my own parting tool to match the oring thickness or would i be grinding a regular HSS turning blank

Also i decided i will be changing the a2z for the 0XA . Do you know what i have to do to get the 0XA to fit or does it fit just like the A2z . What throws me off is it says

It is the perfect size for mini lathes. The tool holders have been designed specifically to work on the mini lathes and other lathes that have limited distance from the top of the compound to the center of the lathe. This tool post mounts with an M10 stud, which is included.

To mount this QCTP on other small lathes, you may have to make a bushing or re-work the center stud so that you can mount it to a smaller threaded hole.

How ever you want to do it, depends on the size of the o-ring. Both your methods will work.

I guess I thought mine was M10 aswell, I can't help you there, right now anyways..