Hi,

I'm a newbie, been doing some CAD designs, now it's time to see if I can output any of these as real objects, models and other prototypes.

I've looked a several designs, kits, pre-builts and the prices run the range from a little to a lot. Some even involve sourcing parts from China. So that might mean customs costs.

The Momus has what I'm looking for and a decent set of plans to get started, but the question remains - "How much can I expect to spend on building a working unit, all parts, software and router?" I've already got a PC set aside to dedicate to the CNC machine.

Are there any potential problems with parts sources in the plans?

Which parts are the most difficult to obtain for the project?

Which parts are going to be the most costly to acquire?

I'm starting with a radial arm saw, a circular saw and hand drill.

Already have a sheet and 1/2 sheet of OAK veneer plywood left over from some bookcases I made awhile back for the enclosure. But everthing else is going to need to be purchased.

Also have a student license for AutoCad Design Suite 2013 that I'm still learning to use. I have been mostly a CorelDraw user for many years and an on/off user of IMSI 2D/3D cad.

I'm taking classes now and will hope to use this CNC machine to show off some of my designs next semester (assuming it's all up and running and I can afford all the parts by then).

I know I'm a long way off from completion of the unit. This is all new for me, but I know better to "cut once and mearsure twice" so I'm asking for insights before I start.