586,103 active members*
3,589 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Chinese 2.2 kw VFD and spindle error code

Chinese 2.2 kw VFD and spindle error code

Looking for a little help to point me in the right direction. I have been accumulating parts for and building my own CNC machine over that last 15 months or so. The last part to install was the spindle and VFD. I picked up the 2.2 kw VFD and spindle from a US distributor. After getting the units installed and properly wired, I started up the VFD with factory defaults. When I hit the run button the spindle starts to spin up but faults at a frequency of about 14 on the display with a dl code. Checking the code it says there has been a short in the power leads to the spindle. I've checked and re-checked the cable from the VFD to the spindle and there are no shorts. The cable is 18 ga shielded cable with the shield connected between the spindle plug and the VFD earth ground. If I hit stop then start again the error is repeatable. Not being an engineer, I'm not sure where to go from here. Anyone have some ideas I can try to resolve this issue?

Hello,

you cannot run it with factory settings. Factory setting is 50 or 60Hz - but the spindle is designed for 400Hz. You'll need to change this first.

If you have the same VFD as I have this will be:
    Parameter 4: 400
    Parameter 5: 400
    Parameter 3: 400 (needs to be set after 4 and 5)
    Parameter 11: 100
    (but don't rely on it - you may have a different VFD)

What happens if you run with 50Hz setting is that the spindle will get full voltage and power at 50Hz instead of 400Hz - this is extreme overload - good that the VFD stopped because otherwise the spindle would go up to smoke...

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

Christian;

You're awesome. That was exactly what I needed. Spindle is running correctly now. Thanks for the info.