586,082 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Converting Nema 23 motor to hybrid with encoder?

Converting Nema 23 motor to hybrid with encoder?

Hello.
    I am in a stage with my machine to see if I can do something to get my motion in cnc better.
    I got Nama 23 Stepper motors, and M880 stepper motor drivers, which works very well.

After quick visit to Leadshine.com I saw they have a hybrid system on they page. HBS86 is a hybrid driver and it looks like they are using a stepper motor with encoder to get a close loop controll.
    So I got a idea to convert my stepper to hybrid drives by adding encoder and buying HBS86 stepper motor driver. I knoe that HBS86 is overkill, but I have some big bad ass Nema 34 motors for my next project so HBS86 is a perfect driver for them.

So to my question:

Can i add Encoder like this one from CNC4PC and buy HBS86 driver from Leadshine to get full hybrid drive?

I'm pretty sure the leadshine steppers are 3 phase, probably best to use their matched set. Keling has the nema 23 hybrid setup on Ebay for $250.

Yeah you are right about leadshine sytem, but Kelling set is 3-phase too... Ow, BTW. it looks like kelling's system is rebadget Leadshine.
    ------
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Goose80 View Post
    Yeah you are right about leadshine sytem, but Kelling set is 3-phase too... Ow, BTW. it looks like kelling's system is rebadget Leadshine.
    Thats the point I was trying to make

What advantage do this have over a brushless dc servo?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose80 View Post
    Yeah you are right about leadshine sytem, but Kelling set is 3-phase too...
    He's trying to tell you you need special 3 phase steppers to go with that drive.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yeah I know that. Thanks. So the conclusion is: it is possible, but not with 2 phase motors.
    ------
    Martin

The only 3 phase stepper I've ever seen is the one from leadshine, which already comes with the encoder.
    You really need to buy the motor and drive as a set, as I don't think you can find another motor to add an encoder to that will work.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

But if we ll make our own designed drivers? )

Just kidding lol (is it possible can we do it)

Probably best to start with a simple stepper driver first, the hybrid drives are much more complicated!

But I think Someone in forum can make that driver, and tell to us how can we make that. With pic codes, photos and drawings. But I should design simple stepper drive firstly for learn something and understand that systems deeply..

I have a DSPIC based design with provisions to handle an encoder input. I will experiment with closed loop control when I have time. Mariss from Geckodrive, commented that it will be necessary to run the FOC control code at every pole position. That will require substantial processing power.

Re: Converting Nema 23 motor to hybrid with encoder?

Hi Goose An old thread but thought I'd clarify. You should theoretically be able to use any 2 phase stepper motor with the HBS86 if you add an encoder. Normally it is preset for a Leadshine 4Nm or 8Nm nema 34 motor, but you can change parameters to suit other motors and the encoder resolution. For instance if you reduce in software maximum current to suit the motor, then may have to fiddle with gains for best performance. But it's easier if you use their motors...

Re: Converting Nema 23 motor to hybrid with encoder?

Nice to brush a dirt from a old post.

Long after this post I invested in SmoothSteper Ethernet. I see that cnc4pc has encoders and C53 encoders card for SmoothStepper.
    CNC4PC
    CNC4PC

Unfortunately I can find any good manual with description on how to connect stuff. I see how to connect encoder to C53, but what more? Looks like there is almost none info on how to connect everything starting fra encoder and finishing with configuring mach 3.

Any ideas?

And BTW. CNC4PC NEVER answers when you send emails! Looks like they don't bother to read and answer, which is shame as they have good products and their C53, C32, C34s are high on my want to buy list.
    ------
    Martin