586,882 active members*
4,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Drilling- and Milling Machines > Newbie needs advice on cnc machine for jewllers

Newbie needs advice on cnc machine for jewllers

Hi,

I am a manufacturing jeweler, living in Germany. I have two jewelry stores and specialize in high class upmarket handmade jewelry and am considering to buy a cnc milling machine, but I am a complete newbie in the field and would be very grateful for some advice. My idea is to be able to use the machine to texture the surface of existing rings etc. that I have made (directly onto the metal) and obviously also to make wax models for casting. I am considering to buy a Roland MDX 40 A. Could anybody give me some advice on what machine would be the most appropriate or what I should consider before I buy a machine? Also the idea of directly texturing the surface of precious metals might not be practical, some advice here would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Nico

www.n-creations.de

i can`t believe no one posted here . did you come up with a machine ?

Hi, thanks for the reply! I did post the same thread under cnc benchtop machines and Anrew Werby answered on it very constructively. As to your question: No I have not quite made up my mind as what to get yet. I am considering getting Andrew to help me set up a Sherline , Taig or a ACT DMC III with a nsk spindle. I am not sure if it would be hard for me learning with such a setup, compared to a Roland jwx-30. Your view would be much appreciated. Here in Germany I have someone that almost insists that I use ArtCAM Jewelsmith as software. I do not want to spend more than what would be necessary, yet I do not want to get anything that I am going to regret later on because it is too time consuming or to limited. In which case I am prepared rather to buy something more expensive if need be.

Consider this machine. It's at a higher end of pricing, but you should take in consideration, you get what you pay for. MHO Compact CNC mills with high speed spindles. Precision Centroid CNC equipped benchtop mills for jewelry, edm, engraving, stamp and die creation.

did you check out gravograph yet?
    they're quite close to you and i'ld expect them to know what you need as well as understanding you are a jeweller and not 3d cad cam programmingwizard.thus their machines might be esier to learn/operate.

but if you can and you want and you need to do the very nicest jobs and know how to operate one i'ld easily vote cybaman for any jeweller !

if your gonna build one yourself i wish you much luck.
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.