586,067 active members*
4,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Need help with drawing an oak leaf shaped bowl

Need help with drawing an oak leaf shaped bowl

I know how to draw the leaf, I DO NOT know which viewport to use to get my drawing lines to go across the leaf so i can use the 2 rail sweep; (like drawing the inside of the bowl) an then making that a surface. when i do draw the lines i dont know where they will end up in the drawing there must be a way to know where the other end will end up. any help would be appreaciated, Thank you, Brady

Hi Brady,

Do you have any pictures of what you want the bowll to look like?

have a drawing

Hello, This is the start of the drawing. I am making it to be 2 inches deep in the center of the bowl overall. The top of the bowl is in the shape of the oak leaf, where the edges of the top of the bowl will droop down slightly at the edge of the bowl all the way around the bowl. The veins i want to be little ridges that follow the contour of the inside of the bowl (which is what I am having trouble with drawing the lines so I can make the inside surface so I can apply the veins to).The bottom of the bowl is an ellipse, size not determined yet. I mean it will be what ever makes the bowl stable. I'm having trouble with the lines from the top of the bowl down to the ellipse. When i draw the lines they end up where ever they want. I may not even be drawing this the right way. If you can point me in the right direction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oak leaf perspective.bmp   oak leaf 1.bmp  

Hi,

The outside of the bowl you can have some fun with it.

First, settle on a size of the ellipse.

Second, make the leaf's profile a closed polyline.

Third, turn on the Control Points for the polyline. Are the CPs dense and irregular?
    If so, make a copy to work on. Reduce the number of CPs as much as you can without losing too much detail.

Fourth, tryout the different surface commands; loft, with its various options; sweep 1, possibly adding a slash; surface from curve network.

Each of these surfaces will give you something to work with.

To make the inside of the dish you may just want to use a portion of a sphere or elipsoid to project your curves onto. This would be the web of the leaf. For the veins of the leaf, project the centerline for the veins onto the web. Use the sweep1 command with differing start and ending diameters to make the vein.

Will you be making this piece? If so, what material?

Hope to make in cherry wood

Hows it going ? I'm just learning rhino now and I have just a few questions, It is really just curiosity, that is I learn better if I know the reason for things that I am doing. I made a closed polyline pic is attached with the control points on 1. Why use a polyline vise any other line command to do a drawing like this ? 2. why the concern for to many cps ? Is this because it is to much information ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oak leaf with control points on.jpg  

The answer for #2: With fewer CPs you'll get a "cleaner" surface, it will be much easier to work with later.

I don't understand #1.

here's a loft showing the dense ISOs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Travel Between Dimensions -01.jpg   Travel Between Dimensions -02.jpg  

I see

Your pics and answer made something click for me... That first question I was trying to ask is... You choose the polyline why not the control point curve or the interpolate ? I recently made trim for our bathrm window, Pics below. and used the control point curve cause I thought that was easier to make smooth edges for the surface when i used the 2 rail sweep.. There is a question here; I am having trouble explaining what I am thinking. Im sure your answer is going to clarify or maybe make something else click. Thanks Brady
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bathrm trim.jpg  

Hello, When I used the term "polyline" I was meaning for it to be a name, not how it was made. If I were to call out a "line" the same would apply. I was using your picture to describe the steps to use to make the surface.

You are correct about the Control Point Curve, it produces a very smooth curve.
    Nice tile work, did you cut a mold of this one? It would make a nice backsplash to a kitchen counter as well.

I think I understand

Hows it going? One thing for sure you make me think, things are becoming more clear but I may have to come back to that question in the future...
    Yes I did cut that mold in oak and its up in the bathrm even cut side boards. Pics are below;
    one thing more, when I use the loft on the leaf I get slopes. In the pics you posted earlier the surfaces look to be curved as they go to the bottom mine all slope (ramps). The inside of the bowl should be dished as well as the outside. Thanks Brady
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00093.jpg   DSC00094.jpg   DSC00096.jpg  

First create the ribstructure of the leaf in 3d

expand it so it protrudes the shape of your leaf

connect all the ribs tips so you get a course template of the leaf ( wire mesh)!

Create NURBS surf from that!

Trace the leafs shape

punch out your 3 D template ..

Add thickness with parallel offset surface

Add rim and close the surface group to get a solid - like object!

Add detail

Add a base

Feel well!

Below you will find a quick and dirty proposal

Good luck!
    Hj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oak leaf.jpg  
    Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!