586,116 active members*
3,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Citizen L20/Mitsubishi won't zero return

Citizen L20/Mitsubishi won't zero return

Hi guys,
    My Citizen L20 with Mitsubishi controls is acting up. I am getting an error message that I need to do a zero return for the Xb axis, but when I try to do that it doesn't work. With each of my other axes with parameter 9 on and the parameter for the axis on, I jog a little bit in the negative direction and the machine starts moving automatically and finds the home switch. With Xb I can jog from end to end and it never starts moving on its own. Any ideas? I know on our Haas machines there are batteries in the encoders that can go out over time and cause similar problems, are Citizens the same? I have noticed that the Xb axis does lose position when I power the machine down, while the others don't. The encoder does seem to be working as the position updates while jogging.

Thanks!

I have had the same similar problem on the machine I work with. It was a little bit difficult to figure out. If I remember right, I actually took the spindle real close to the positive end of the axis, then started from there instead of reading the book how its written and utilizing the negative end. I actually even jammed the ball screw one time when going to the negative end trying to perform this zero axis positioning. So take the head to the positive side of the axis, then do your jogging from that end of the machine. I'm not too sure why the Xb axis worked differently than all the other axis when they followed suit with what the book said. Let us know if this works.

XB axis... Is this an L3-16/20

If so then these guys are getting old. So are te encoders. TRy swapping an encoder from the Z2 axis and check out if it works. Then swap the switches over and see if it works. THis was the process of elimination for me to find out that the encoders needed to be rebuilt or replaced. REbuilt is 1,400-1,500 replaced is like 3,500. Get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by WillRitter View Post
    Hi guys,
    My Citizen L20 with Mitsubishi controls is acting up. I am getting an error message that I need to do a zero return for the Xb axis, but when I try to do that it doesn't work. With each of my other axes with parameter 9 on and the parameter for the axis on, I jog a little bit in the negative direction and the machine starts moving automatically and finds the home switch. With Xb I can jog from end to end and it never starts moving on its own. Any ideas? I know on our Haas machines there are batteries in the encoders that can go out over time and cause similar problems, are Citizens the same? I have noticed that the Xb axis does lose position when I power the machine down, while the others don't. The encoder does seem to be working as the position updates while jogging.

Thanks!

zero return

see attachment.
    good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files