586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mill Storage

Mill Storage

Hey guys,

I'm probably going to be going overseas next year for 4-6 months. I'm hoping to have to have the conversion done on my HM-46 before i go. Just wondering what prep you guys think i should do to prep the the machine before i go, because i hadn't really given it much thought. Mostly worried about corrosion seeing it will just be sitting for months.

My first thought was to just cover any clean metal surfaces with grease, like they were when the mill was new.

anyone had experience storing machine tools for long term?

Grease would probably be good enough.

Apply it thickly and make sure it is a stiff grease. The places I would worry about are under the saddles where they sit on the ways. It may be worthwhile to take the machine apart so that those surfaces can be properly coated. Any moisture that can work its way in there is effectively trapped in there, thus will result in corrosion. Considering the time frame you are on the border for tearing the machine apart.

Don't forget to grease up internal tapers and the like. Depending upon the machines location you may need covers and desiccants.

If the storage was for longer periods I might suggest a special purpose preservative on the ways like cosmoline. The spelling there may not be right but cosmoline is the stuff the military uses to preserve machines and weapons in storage. Grease won't last forever on a machine. You could also try wrapping or covering parts in the various waxed papers used for such purposes, Uline is one supplier. The big problem here is that you may be on the borderline where grease may loose its effectiveness. In effect it can dry out, run out, separate and do other things to expose your metal. There are many environmental factors here so one can't say for sure how long the grease would last. It is not however the long term solution.

There has been a lot of positive feedback on the forum for Boeshield. I would look into that.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

What you need to do is largely a function of WHERE it is being stored. If it's in a heated space, you really shouldn't need to do anything. If it's in a shop, that will remain closed while you're gone, then spraying it liberally with WD40 should be adequate. If it'll be in a garage that will be opened from time to time, then BoesShield or grease would be a good idea.

What you need to be most concerned about is moisture from outdoors getting in. If, after a cold night, you open the door, and let in a lot of warm, moist air, it WILL condense on the machine, and cause rust. If all you do is walk in, and close the door behind you, you won't have a problem at all.

My shop was basically closed for 18 months a while back. I did sometimes go out there to grab a tool or do something quick, but the shop was unheated, and the door was never open for more than the time it took to walk in or out. I did nothing to the machines but spray them with WD40, and there was NO heat. At the end of the 18 months there was NO rust on anything. And I live in a VERY humid, and fairly cold climate. We get 120" of rain a year, several good snowfalls each winter, and often see temperatures in the teens (F) in winter.

Keep outside air out, and you'll have no problems, and WD40 will do a fine job of preventing rust.

Regards,
    Ray L.

hey guys,

thanks for the advice. The Shed i have my mill in, which it will most likely stay in, is not super high quality, and definitely not insulated against temperature change. I usually just keep the mill covered in wd40/inox when its not in use and that seems to work fine. I'm not sure if they will be adequate for the long term though. i will probably wrap all the collets and tools and any parts that will fit and store them inside somewhere where there is less temperature swing and humidity change. Whats the best to wrap them in?

Quote Originally Posted by kensbey View Post
    hey guys,

thanks for the advice. The Shed i have my mill in, which it will most likely stay in, is not super high quality, and definitely not insulated against temperature change. I usually just keep the mill covered in wd40/inox when its not in use and that seems to work fine. I'm not sure if they will be adequate for the long term though. i will probably wrap all the collets and tools and any parts that will fit and store them inside somewhere where there is less temperature swing and humidity change. Whats the best to wrap them in?
    Temperature change, by itself, is not a problem at all. If outside air can't get in, or at least can get in only slowly (normal small leaks around doors, etc.), then you'll be fine. Warm, moist outside air getting in contact with cold, dry metal is what causes problems. Even an un-insulated shed is not a problem if it's reasonably well sealed. Weatherstrip the door(s), tape plastic over the windows, spray everything with WD40 or any light oil, and you won't have any problems.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post

And I live in a VERY humid, and fairly cold climate. We get 120" of rain a year, several good snowfalls each winter, and often see temperatures in the teens (F) in winter.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    hmm, according to us climate data, santa cruz, ca averages less than 31 inches of rainfall a year. Climate Santa Cruz - California - Climate graph :nono:

big cardboard box, line voltage thermostat, and a light bulb or two.

I coat stuff with LPS3 if its going to sit for a while.

For items stored indoors, oil and a paper wrapping ought to do.

Not just any paper though as plain paper can absorb moisture. Instead get packing paper specifically designed for wrapping metal parts for shipment. I'm not sure where you would get such paper down under, here in the US Uline is one source but I would imagine such materials are available just about anywhere.

Your bigger concern though is the shed. If it is as described, that is subject to temperature extremes, I'd break the mill down and cover anything capable of rust with a very heavy and sticky grease at the minimum. If you expect to be away even longer I'd skip the grease for a compound made for this purpose. In this case Cosmoline or something similar.

The problem as has already been pointed out is that the temperature swings can lead to moisture deposits. Oil and grease will float on water thus eventually you get spots of rust where condensation has floated the oil away. Grease can be far more reliable for a longer period of time, thus the cleaning efforts for Chinese imports, but it will eventually fail too. 6 months for grease isn't a stretch unless the environment is really agressive. It is what happens over longer periods of time that makes even more agressive sealing advisable. In any event local conditions play a big part in dictating the best approach.

Quote Originally Posted by kensbey View Post
    hey guys,

thanks guys,

i love this forum, so many people willing to share their wisdom.

looks like i'm going to try to get some packing paper for metal parts and then split everything up and go nuts with the grease.