586,106 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > HAAS Live Tooling question...

HAAS Live Tooling question...

How do I do this on a HAAS ST-10 LIVE TOOL Lathe.

I have a part that has a finished outside diameter of (7.925mm)/(.3120in).

I need to drill a hole of (1.98mm)/(.0780in) right thru the middle of the part using the vertical live tooling holders on a HAAS ST-10.

I need to hold the (1.98mm)/(.0780in) hole in (+-.050mm)/(.0020in) on center of the part.

I finish the OD, center drill with a #1 c-dril and then drill with a 2mm drill.

According to the the April 2012 HAAS Lathe Manual, on page 140,141,142.

You have to use the alignment dowl pin and set screws to adjust the parallelism with the X Axis.

I am having a very hard time holding that tolerance, I cant seem to align the live tool on center enough to dill straight.

Can you guys give me tips on X Alignment for radial tools on a haas lathe.

If some one knows a good method please explain in detail.

I really want to be able to do this correctly.

The 90 deg live tooling like you posted isn't plug and play like it should be..basically i would shim it either direction and measure for center just do some test holes.

But to get a true dead on reading I stopped using an m19 to position the spindle

My code looks like this now.
    EXAMPLE 2 holes 180 deg out on .5 od drilling to .35
    Just do this and adjust the holder till its perfect, once it is don't take it off unless you have to...tool 7 is permanent on my 24 station turret lol

T707
    G54
    M8
    M133 P500
    M154
    GO C0.
    G0 X.55
    G0Z.05
    G0 Z-1.
    G1 X.35 F.5
    G0 Z.55
    G0 C180.
    G1 X.35
    G0 X.55
    Z.05
    M9
    M00

I have an okuma lathe with live lools, c axis, and a vdi turret. I have to line up the radial live tools on this lathe too. On my lathe there are two setscrews that are used to adjust the position before the vdi clamp is tightened. To get it close I indicate the body of the tool while moving the x axis. If you need it closer put an indicator on the live tool's spindle and indicate the part in the chuck.

To get it dead on this is what you need to do. Put an intrarapid indicator in the spindle, and put a .25 gauge pin in the radial tool and jog the tool near the indicator. You want to have the pin tip around X-.25 and then drop the indicator on top of the pin and zero the indicator to the highest point in the Y direction. Rock the spindle slightly by hand to make sure your indicator is parallel to X, if its parallel it won't read lower than zero. Now, without touching the indicator rotate the spindle 180° cw around the pin tip to the other side of the pin and note (you may need a hand mirror) whether its higher or lower. Turn the set screws accordingly till the indicator reads that it has gone half the distance back to zero. Re-zero the indicator, check top and bottom readings and if done correctly they should both read zero.

For your static drills, reamers, and taps

For static center working tools like drills, reamers, and taps, spindlecentric.com has an alignable ER16 collet chuck.

Haas Factory Support

VoKus,
    Has your issue been resolved?
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Thanks Ken!

Yes Ken,

I was able to get it to work.

My employment depended on it, this was a new job for me at the time, and my first exposure to live tooling.

I basically learned how to use it by reading the HAAS Lathe Operators Manual, and the HAAS Factory Outlet Live Tool Manual.

Lathe Operators Manual: http://www.haascnc.com/doclib/manual...lish_lathe.pdf

HAAS Factory Outlet Live Tool Manual: http://www.productivity.com/content/...mmerManual.pdf

My problem was basically this.
    I needed to get as close as possible to center (Zero on the Y-Axis), with a RADIAL (Cross-Working) Live Tool.
    I was able to get close using the dowel pin, and indicator method but just out of tolerance.
    I tried many things and eventually I was able to get down a processes that repeat.

1. I started out by stubbing up the center drill and drill as much as possible with out them hitting anything while it worked.
    2. I used the dowel and indicator method that is described in the lathe manual to get close.
    3. From their, I clamped a 1 inch bar stock of aluminum, turned on the spindle break(m14) and used a fine turning tool (.2mm) or (.008in ), to scribe a line from the center to the top of the OD using handle job.
    4. Then I would bring my live center and live drill right up to the scribed line, turn on the live tool at a low rpm to see it rotate, and do find adjustments right at the spindle, where it would be cutting.

If you bring up the tool and turn it on at slow rpm, you can really see how close or off center it is when looking straight at the bar from the front.
    After I get both of them as close as possible I tighten everything up, and double check and go for it.

This method worked fairly well for me, that job was a pain, and the boss man would always save it for me after I figured it out...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventures of a 24 year old cnc machinist haha....

Ken I have a request for you!

Is thier anyway you can connect me with some one at the Oxnard HAAS factory?

Since high school I have been working in many different job shops and picking up stuff as I went.

I would really love to work with an expert cnc machinist or crew so I can learn and give back.

I know HAAS Lathes fairly well and I would loved to work in Oxnard with you guys.

Im a very good haas lathe setup guy, and I can do basic g code programming, canned cycles, and some live tooling....

I am currently in rocklin ca, but I can pick up and drive straight to Oxnard if you guys have a spot for me.

Please let me know, I am available NOW!

Haas Factory Support

Quote Originally Posted by VoKuS View Post
    Is their anyway you can connect me with some one at the Oxnard HAAS factory?
    I work at the Haas factory in Oxnard. We are always hiring, especially skilled workers. Please see the two links below.

This is the best way to apply for a job at Haas. It is constantly updated based on our current openings and provides a lot of detail for each position.
    https://www.haasjobs.com/Applicants/

We also hire through several temp agencies, here is one:
    http://www.aerotek.com/
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Thank you!