586,096 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What is a used X2 worth?

I converted an X2 many (many) years ago and then a G0704 a year or two ago. I originally thought I would keep and make use of both but the poor X2 just seems to be sitting in the corner gathering dust so I think it is time for us to part ways. I want to put it on my local craigs list but I have no idea what to ask for it.

It is a speedway (from back when Homier sold them) that I converted using hoss' plans. It has Roton screws/nuts. The controller is all keling stuff with 4 drivers, 36V power supply, 425 Oz steppers. It also has the belt drive and new brushes in the motor.

I am not including the PC when I sell it since it also has my licensed software on it. I will just dedicate it as the drawing pc. The only tooling I was planning on getting rid of was the vise.

I'll give you $100 for it, to help you out!

It's really hard to judge these things, it really depends on where you are and the local interest in CNC hobby machines.. I've seen a similar one on the local CL (Vancouver, BC - where machinery fetches ridiculously high prices) listed for $2500 for 6 months, so obviously that's a bit much! On the other hand, I missed out on a CNC'd X2 a year ago from some dude near Seattle, WA that listed his for $400, saying that since he had converted it to CNC and didn't have handles anymore, he didn't think anyone would want it...

Try adding up what you spent on it.. 50-70% of that?

Yeah, true. I don't ever see them on CL so I don't know what they are in the area. I will try to dig up my old receipts and see what I spent or at least look up current prices.

Get an old pc to sell with it and put either LinucCNC (free) or the demo version of Mach3 on it so that you have a complete running machine. In my opinion, a turn key setup will be much easier to sell and will fetch a much higher price too.

You can get used PC's for peanuts. As a matter of fact, I picked up 4 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 pc's for free with 2 working LCD monitors and all they were missing were the hard drives. I already had a few old hard drives laying around so they are good to go.

Even if you have to buy one you can get a decent Pentium 4 off e-bay for about $40 shipped. A P4 will run linuxCNC just fine and the live CD makes it easy to load up and get running. I have run my machine on one of the 2.8 GHz machines I got and also on an even older 1.4 GHz Pentium 4 and both run fine. The 1.4 actually has better latency test numbers for LinuxCNC than the 2.8.

Just a thought.

That's a good idea. I probably have enough parts laying around to build a machine.

There's a CNCed X2 with a pc on SF craigslist for $1100 right now. I don't think it has ballscrews though.

I couldn't imagine what I could sell my X2 for. I did a spreadsheet up a while back on the total cost of parts and it was well above what anyone would reasonably pay for it.

Sorry for the unrelated question, but what kind of mist coolant system do you have on your X2?
    Jason
    RPC Electronics, LLC - www.rpc-electronics.com

It's a noga minicool mister with a single nozzle. In hindsight I would have preferred 2 nozzles but this one has served me well.

A couple of years ago I sold a 'cnc ready' X2 for £450 on Ebay (that's $724 USD in today's money). That machine had a belt drive conversion, standard motor, ballscrews. No stepper motors, no drives or controller, no PC. I don't think I could have got any more for it, and I was happy with that sale price.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

What area of the US are you in?
    Regards,
    Gerald.
    Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Midwest - pretty close to Indianapolis.