586,080 active members*
3,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

80 watt vs 60watt laser tube replacement

I have a 60watt machine but the tube is fried. Since I'm getting a new one anyway, I'm thinking of getting an 80 watt tube for now, then upgrade the PSU later . Is it possible to use a 80 watt tube in the 60watt setup, and still get the full 60 watts from it? I know I wouldn't get the full power with a 60watt PSU, and it's significantly longer, (I'd have to let one end stick out,build a cover for it) What, if any, problems would that cause? Has anyone tried this? I'm inclined to believe that the 80 watt would probably last longer at higher power than a standard 60 watt at high power. Am I way off on this thinking? Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone may be able to give.

The tube is bigger, it takes more power to get the tube started. It may work, but I doubt it.

The problem is the starting voltage needed, it's a lot higher than the running voltage. The smaller power supply is designed to start a smaller tube, it will have to work much harder to start the bigger, longer tube.

Think of it this way, the laser has to conduct electricity through the gas mixture before it can start working. It takes a lot more voltage to get the arc to start since the tube is longer, but once the arc is started the power needed to maintain the arc would be about the same (assuming you aren't trying to run any higher than 60W)

You start feeding a tube the wrong dirty power and you'll take it out real quick. Save your pennies a while longer. Power supplies are dirt cheap anyway.

Assuming each tube is made the same way they each ought to last about the same. You can't compare an 80W RECI to a no name 60W though. You shouldn't ever really run at full power anyway, I never program above 90% power. Kinda like a car engine, you could put the pedal to the floor everywhere you go, but you'd best not complain when that car doesn't make it past 50K miles before it blows up.

Just for your information, here is what I have;

Generic Chinese 60w power supply is rated at 28kv and 23ma.

RECI 80w tube is 20kv trigger voltage and 28ma max.

So the tube is only being driven to 23ma. Supposedly 60w.

The RECI tubes seem to be shorter for a given wattage, than the other brands. Trigger voltage is apparently tied to length

I went this way because I first purchased a 60w power supply and later decided to go with the so called "Long Life" RECI tube. 80w was the smallest tube they made.

It works great and has done so for about a year. It is the only laser I have ever used and so I have nothing to compare its performance to. Seems perfectly fine to me.

Greolt

Smile G.Weike Laser Factory-Abby!

Hi,

Greolt,you are good at it!

The small laser power supply could not work with bigger poer tube. But bigger power supply could work with smaller tube.

And RECI Laser tube is the best competitive brand in laser market,long life time,long warranty time(300 days).

Abby

G.Weike Laser Factory
    [email protected] [email protected]

So I went ahead and ordered a 80 watt, and an 80 watt PSU just to be on the safe side. Now, I realize the 60 watt tube mounts are smaller. Hmmm. Anyway, I'm thinking of welding an 80mm or so rounded holder to a 12mm rod to fit in the base of the existing mount. Hope that works. I'm assuming the output mirror has to be level with the mirror plane. Does anyone know of good suppliers for tube mounts? I've seen some on ebay, but their from hong kong. Any local places to get mounts? Thanks for everyone's assistance in this matter. I should be up and using an "80" watt system soon. Hopefully.
    BTW, do I need to change any settings once I install the new psu and tube? Software wise?

Speed & Power will change but not by much, to be honest going from a good 60 to a decent 80 isn't going to make a huge difference.

China to USA delivery is usually very good. I can get stuff from China here to the UK than I can very often from UK to UK.

best wishes

Dave

Smile I can provide the tube holder .

Hi , we have two kinds laser tube holder . one material is plastic ,the other is Aluminum . for the co2 laser tube diameter up to 80mm .

20$/set .the shipping charge to the USA is 35$. via EMS ,DHL or FedEx .

And for the normal tube ,the lifespan of the 80w and 60w is nearly same . and why the 80w is more powerful than 60w . because normally the more long length of the discharge tube ,the more powerful .

If you want to get a more powerful tube, reci is a good choice .meanwhile , when you chance the tube , you also need chance the PSU to fit for it .
    and the chiller also important ,if you choose a powerful tube ,you need think about the chiller .

If you choose a 80w ,you can think about use a FL:50.8mm ,lens .

If you need the tube holder ,you can contact me anytime ,i will reply to you within 12 hours .Buying from aliexpress store ,or make the payment via Payment also be accepted . they will protect your benefit .

Email: [email protected] Skype: cenranlaser
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02066.JPG   2012-05-31 23.50.18.jpg   DSC01528.jpg   DSC01901.jpg