586,080 active members*
3,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sensor PHC questions

I'm a partner at a small furniture shop and we're gathering research to convert a Machine Tool Camp 4x8 CNC router into a CNC plasma (DeskCNC operating software). I've spoken with Hypertherm several times and I'm certain we'll be purchasing a Powermax 85 power supply in the next two months, but I'm still hung up on torch height control options.

I've been considering the Sensor PHC but still have questions that haven't been answered via phone calls to Hypertherm. Can anyone help with this?

1. Is it possible to control a different the z-axis lifter assembly? For instance, could I send the PWM from the Sensor PHC to my existing Z axis Gecko Drive? Is attempting this worth the cost savings?

2. I've glanced at the operating manual for the Sensor PHC and noticed that it can receive "cycle start", "corner hold", and "IHS sync" inputs. Are there any inputs for stopping the plasma arc?

Thanks

Hi,
    Look :: CNC4PC :: iNtRo for THC.
    It is low cost and easy to operate
    1. Yes it is possible with their H-Bridge
    2. In Mach3, ArcOk signal is an input and it needs to move. ArcOk signal comes from plasma generator and connect to Mach3 input

Can

Quote Originally Posted by esp173 View Post
    I'm a partner at a small furniture shop and we're gathering research to convert a Machine Tool Camp 4x8 CNC router into a CNC plasma (DeskCNC operating software). I've spoken with Hypertherm several times and I'm certain we'll be purchasing a Powermax 85 power supply in the next two months, but I'm still hung up on torch height control options.

I've been considering the Sensor PHC but still have questions that haven't been answered via phone calls to Hypertherm. Can anyone help with this?

1. Is it possible to control a different the z-axis lifter assembly? For instance, could I send the PWM from the Sensor PHC to my existing Z axis Gecko Drive? Is attempting this worth the cost savings?

2. I've glanced at the operating manual for the Sensor PHC and noticed that it can receive "cycle start", "corner hold", and "IHS sync" inputs. Are there any inputs for stopping the plasma arc?

Thanks

the Sensor PHC is a self contained height control......it includes the mechanical z axis slide, a drive, as well as the electronics. It is not available to use with a different type of z axis motor. This height control interfaces between the cnc control and the plasma system.

The cycle start input comes from the cnc control.....it is a contact closure to start the plasma (which the THC holds until the initial height sense is complete).....and when the contacts are opened...the plasma will stop. The corner hold is an output (contact closure) from the cnc control indicating that the programmed cut speed has dropped to less than an acceptable speed (usually 80% of cut speed)...this freezes any heigh corrections on the z axis.

I would be more than happy to help with any questions.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by esp173 View Post

Thanks

I think the posters question was about the Sensor PHC torch height control from Hypertherm...he is looking for information on this Hypertherm thread.

Quote Originally Posted by agelkom View Post
    Hi,
    Look :: CNC4PC :: iNtRo for THC.
    It is low cost and easy to operate
    1. Yes it is possible with their H-Bridge
    2. In Mach3, ArcOk signal is an input and it needs to move. ArcOk signal comes from plasma generator and connect to Mach3 input

Can

Thanks Jim,

This answers my initial question. Here are two more that I need help with.

1. What's included in the Sensor PHC kit for Powermax Bundle? According to the Sensor PHC manual it's: 228123 Sensor PHC (with 123896) for Powermax bundle. Does this come with the lifter assembly and the plasma interface?

2. Am I correct in assuming that the Sensor PHC control module should be able to communicate with any CNC controls as long as the correct inputs are made to the Sensor PHC control module? There is a diagram in the manual (fig.15 pg. 32) that shows 24v circuits running to, what looks like, different pin numbers of the Sensor PHC's 25-pin D subconnector.

Justin