586,545 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 13 of 25 3111213141523
    I checked the head bolts and they all needed to be torqued down.

I started a new part and using some conservative feeds and speeds. I'm using a new end mill on this part too. So far the finish looks much better. I haven't run any parts in a few months, so I'm not used to the sounds of the machine anymore.

More to come...

One thing that has always bothered me about this machine is that the Z way cover reduced the Z travel enough that the spindle couldn't come closer than about 1.5" to the table. If you're using a small EM in a collet there's no way you could work on a sheet mounted directly on the table. Now that I have moved the column away from the table I have enough room to fix it. I designed a new mount that slides up and down on the column.

What do you need to do with the spindle that close to the table, Cut holes in it?
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Well, when I do production runs of parts I clamp a sheet of say 3/8" material to the table. Then I'm using a 1/8-3/16" end mill to slot around the profile 1/4"-5/16" deep around all of the parts. Then I cut the sheets of parts apart into groups, clamp them into custom soft jaws, and mill off the backside and do any backside ops. If I want to use a collet I need the spindle nose within 1/2" of the table. I bought a few EM holders for my smaller tools to but some more clearance, but they were still 1/4" to 3/8" from the table top.

On my Novakon Torus Pro, the spindle, when fully down, is 5" above the table. In practice, this is only a very minor inconvenience. To accomodate my (many) low fixtures, I simply machined up several 2" x 2" x 12" riser blocks. When I use a low fixture, I simply mount it on the riser blocks, and I can easily use even my shortest tools.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    Well, when I do production runs of parts I clamp a sheet of say 3/8" material to the table. Then I'm using a 1/8-3/16" end mill to slot around the profile 1/4"-5/16" deep around all of the parts. Then I cut the sheets of parts apart into groups, clamp them into custom soft jaws, and mill off the backside and do any backside ops. If I want to use a collet I need the spindle nose within 1/2" of the table. I bought a few EM holders for my smaller tools to but some more clearance, but they were still 1/4" to 3/8" from the table top.
    a machine that requires risers to let you work on your parts is poorly designed, your points on what you require brings that home.
    walt

There's more than one way to skin a cat, right?

One advantage of my setup is that I don't need any fixtures and the material is supported very well by the table.

Quote Originally Posted by waltpermenter View Post
    a machine that requires risers to let you work on your parts is poorly designed, your points on what you require brings that home.
    walt
    A lot of commercial VMCs have minimum spindle to table distances, most of the Haas machines state 4". It is very rare to be attaching sheet to the table, you would normally see a vacuum table or fixturing. Of course, none of us are trying to cut seconds off our cycle times here so it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    A lot of commercial VMCs have minimum spindle to table distances, most of the Haas machines state 4". It is very rare to be attaching sheet to the table, you would normally see a vacuum table or fixturing. Of course, none of us are trying to cut seconds off our cycle times here so it doesn't really matter.
    Well that just PROVES that all Haas, Fadal, Mori-Seiki machines, and nearly all other commercial VMCs, are "poorly designed", right?

There's a very simple reason that kind of minimum clearance is anything but "poor design": Toolholders take up space. Fixtures and vises take up space. The tools themselves take up space. You won't find anyone using collets to hold tools, or clamping workpieces directly to the table in any production machine shop. So, a few inches minimum clearance has zero impact on the functionality of the machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    These aren't vmc's with CAT/BT tooling here son, keep the topic in context, R8 machines that do run collets. The op and plenty of others DO want to run close to the table and for good reasons as he mentioned. How much experience do you have in a`real machine shop to know what's rare?
    walt

But it isn't a production machine, it's a home shop machine. Most home shop guys use collets. Even with a 1/2" end mill in a collet you might not have enough reach tobe able to work on a plate clamped on the table.

The other machines I have owned both were able to touch the spindle nose to the table (Millrite and Enco Mill/Drill). I've seen quite a few people either remove the Z cover or redesign it, so I know I'm not he only one that sees this as a deficiency.

BTW: Thanks for the warning about the Novakon. I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon, but when I do I want to make sure I go in with eyes wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Well that just PROVES that all Haas, Fadal, Mori-Seiki machines, and nearly all other commercial VMCs, are "poorly designed", right?

There's a very simple reason that kind of minimum clearance is anything but "poor design": Toolholders take up space. Fixtures and vises take up space. The tools themselves take up space. You won't find anyone using collets to hold tools, or clamping workpieces directly to the table in any production machine shop. So, a few inches minimum clearance has zero impact on the functionality of the machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I received the new 1100w motor on Thursday. I drew up a new mount and got it cut out today. All that is left is to drill and tap the motor pulley for a set screw.

Another view

Chris, I'm in the process of converting my X3 to belt drive. It's still early in the process, I'm waiting for the the two motors I bought off of EBay to show before I start drawing up mounts. I was curious what thickness and type of stock you used for your mounts?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

I used .500" 6061. There's a aluminum remnants place near my work, so I can pick it up for $4 a lb.

Here's the new motor mounted on the machine. I need to adjust the width of the ears I added a little so the slots will line up better. I highly suggest cutting the adjustment slots about .030" wider than the screws. I seem to wind up with an alignment issue every time I make a motor mount.

The motor I received is rated at 4200rpm at 90v. It is quieter than the stock 700w motor and MUCH quieter than the treadmill motor was. I may step up to a 28T pulley later on to bump the spindle speed up to 5600rpm.

hhhhummmm

Hi Chris
    That motor does not look anything like the motor Weiss sent me pictures of. The one they sent me looked just like the one Hoss used. Which looks like a 700 watt, only a little bigger. I looks like that motor has much better cooling and is beefier. It looks like you did a good job on the install as well.
    Looking good I would like to see it cutting in a video
    CH

No video, but I was taking a .180DOC x .125WOC cut at 36IPM 4000rpm with a 3 flute 3/8" aluminum cutting end mill today. That's a MRR of .81. Neither of the old motors would handle that heavy of a cut.

Hi Chris
    Have you had any problem of the motor racing up in RPM under Load. That seams to be the biggest problem I have had with DC motor on this mill including the Treadmill motors. I'm running a KBIC 125/220 on my treadmill setup now and it has problems of racing under load. I have a 1hp-2hp resistor in the KB control card and have tried adjusting the IR and so for no joy. I was boring a hole with a boring head last night taking .010 DOC and the motor was up and down like a YO-YO. The L-3/4" belt drive don't strip like the plastic gears did, so the racing just is more noticeable. That is why I'm thinking real hard about 3ph and VFD. I'm waiting for the place to get in stock the 3ph motor I plan to use. That is why I'm still not working on it yet.
    Thanks for the info.
    C.H.

Page 13 of 25 3111213141523