586,912 active members*
3,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My water table

I have been following several table builds and wanted to post on old YouTube video on my water table.

This table is now 15 years old and I have kept the now defunct Plasma Quench from Koal industries in it continuously.

The table was built out of 10 ga. HRS and is basically a box w/i a box. I have 3" of fall over a 9' run. The sump end is twelve inches wide. Right now I have +/- 250 gallons in the tank,
    I have a 2" drain with a ball valve. I've never drained it. We keep the table drained to reduced evaporation. I keep roughly 8" of water in the tank and this allows me to completely cover an material that I'm cutting.

Here's a video of the table filling up.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZXw4Ucl14

Here's a sketch showing an elevation on the tank. I have a 1" gap at the bottom. The supply valve is 1/2" . The dump valve is 1" Attachment 270000

The only improvements I would do over are to build in bigger. This is table is a 5x10 and I would go for a 6x12 next time.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: My water table

How deep do you cover the metal? Just 1/8" so the plasma blows it out of the way?? Do you only cover thinner steel or ?? I'm trying to debate just where I want the top of my slats in my table, was thinking 3/4" below top of table pan.

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach View Post
    How deep do you cover the metal? Just 1/8" so the plasma blows it out of the way?? Do you only cover thinner steel or ?? I'm trying to debate just where I want the top of my slats in my table, was thinking 3/4" below top of table pan.
    JP,

I raise the water so it's just touching the bottom of the material. I have covered the thin material completely and that work great too. On your slats, how will you load your table? I'm following your build. Looking great BTW !!!
    My slats are 1" below the lip of the table/pan. We load from a jib crane so a forklift wasn't a concern. Does this answer your question on slats. Splash from the water will be an issue. You'll just have to wipe your HI WIN rails and keep them dry.

Next on the list of things to build or buy once the table is built is a jib crane to service it and the bandsaw (already have a hoist for it). Until then will probably be either chains/magnet from my walkie stacker forklift or the "jib" crane on my toolbox. Thinking I'll shoot for 3/4" below the top for my slats.

There will be a steel flat bolted to top of frame rails that will come out over the hiwin rails to help keep them clean. Similar to what Dnelso did on his builds.

It looks great! It is amazing that using the correct formula in a water pan can keep any gauge steel from rotting away.
    Now featuring Plasmaland online