586,102 active members*
2,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which USB/Ethernet motion controller for a laptop?

Hi guys,

I am putting my first CNC conversion together and my only real holdup is deciding on a motion controller to go with my laptop. It is a Lenovo Core i3 with 4Gb of ram so I think it should be plenty to run Mach 3.

So far I have looked at the USB and Ethernet Smooth Stepper and the UC100. I've been told that the USB SS can have noise problems but the ethernet version is much better.

If you were in my shoes what would you buy?

Thanks,

Chris

I have used a few USB Smoothsteppers with Mach3 and just recently went with the Ethernet version (ESS). The Smoothstepper itself is awesome, I highly recommend it. Easy to use, loads of I/O. I run them all on older robust Dell laptops that could never think of running Mach3 parallel port control. The USB SS version is a bit tricky to get free of noise tho, that part is correct. However, the ESS version hasn't had a single hiccup, and it adds another full (third) parallel port worth of I/O. I think you should consider the ESS.

nicad,

Thanks for the reply. I decided that since this was my first conversion I should just keep it simple. I found a Dell 745 SFF machine with 19" monitor on craigslist for $110. Cheaper and simpler in the end. That's +2 points.

ChrisAttebery

Use the Lenovo Core i3, the other computers work ok but don't compare, I have a i7 W530 & it rocks

I have a Ethernet smooth stepper but have not really tested it that much, I have been running the U100 though, this is running very well, not as maxed out as a smooth stepper, but for those that need a little more reliability & speed, this is all that is needed, & is very simple to setup use, Just down load there software, which it will auto configure in Mach, plug it in & go
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    nicad,

Thanks for the reply. I decided that since this was my first conversion I should just keep it simple. I found a Dell 745 SFF machine with 19" monitor on craigslist for $110. Cheaper and simpler in the end. That's +2 points.
    So, in all, what electronics did you use?

Which USB/Ethernet motion controller for a laptop?

I started a thread in the Benchtop machines forum, but I used a Cnc4pc C35 bob and parallel port from the P4 powered pc I found on Craigslist.

Hey, nicad. what Mach3 kernel speed do you use with ESS controller?

The SS doesn't use Mach3's kernel speed setting. It has it's own settings, and is capable of up to 4Mhz I believe.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

KOC62

When using the Smooth stepper or the U100 you can have the Kernel speed in Mach set at the lowest settings 25000Hz to 35000Hz is all that is needed
    Mactec54

Thanks, then I can get going...

Did you end up using Smooth Stepper or the UC100?
    I'm on the fence, but would like to try the UC100 along with a Gecko G540 if everyone else is having good luck with them
    Marty