586,075 active members*
4,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Soft filament types?

hello all,

Am looking into creating an object with an outer wall softness/pliability of a PVC rubber ducky.

Been reading up on makerbot and i'm getting the sense that the filament type
    is more stiffer?

If a soft filament type exists and if it's durable enough i can see producing it
    to sell initially straight from the printer, if not then i will go with the standard filament for prototyping purposes. thank you in advance! pete

3D printing of Nylon produces softer parts.
    3D printing gets more flexible with Nylon extrusion -- Engadget
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Soft output 3DPrinter

Fabbster's flexible material for 3D printing
    3D prints of flexible material made on a Fabbster 3D printer. Fabbster uses a special material concept: SDM - stick deposition moulding.

fabbster - A home 3D Printer prints flexible material

I don't think it will be available for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by peteguam View Post
    hello all,

Am looking into creating an object with an outer wall softness/pliability of a PVC rubber ducky.

Been reading up on makerbot and i'm getting the sense that the filament type
    is more stiffer?

If a soft filament type exists and if it's durable enough i can see producing it
    to sell initially straight from the printer, if not then i will go with the standard filament for prototyping purposes. thank you in advance! pete

You want melt-processible elastomer. This is used in "overmoulding" operations where a soft rubbery layer is overlayed on hard plastic.

You may not want to overmould but the material is pretty resilient and flexible so I'd hazard it would be OK on a standalone part.

If you have an FDM printer I don't know that anyone actually has an MPE filament available.

Have a look at this: link

Smile

The great thing about flexible filaments is that the thicker you print the object the less flexible the printed part becomes. This is the most flexible filament - it seems more elastic than anything else I can find on the interweb and its in stock Flexible - Rubber-like (1) 1.75mm ABS 500g / 1.1pound

Are you talking about flexible filaments? Try the Taulman Filament.This material bends on high temperature (from bed temperature of 70°C to an extruder temperature from 210°C-215°C). Very compatible in 3D printers like RepRap, Makerbot, Printrbot, Objet, Formlabs, Buccaneer, ORD, Leapfrog and other similar. Taulman PETT is very tough and semi-transparent and in addition to this, it’s approved by authorities in USA.