586,042 active members*
3,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Found Schematic #CN-0008220-02 for CHNC AC signals

Found Schematic #CN-0008220-02 for CHNC AC signals

I was trying to diagnose an AC signal (to the vertical slide's air motor that powers the hydraulic pump) which should be off by default unless commanded by an M23, but it is continuously on which causes my hydraulic pump to run continuously and drain my air compressor.

I found the complete schematics for my CHNC 1 lathe and was able to trace it back to a failed relay. The relay passes 110V regardless of the 24V control signal logic state, while others nearby follow the correct logic. Strangely, all relays from 1CR through 9CR operate correctly, while relays CR10 through to CR17 have all failed. Interestingly, 4CR was swapped with 14CR, presumably because 4CR had failed some time ago and 14CR (for feeding stock) was unused. Now it all totally makes sense.

Time to go shopping for more relays at Sayal!

Torin...

hi
    I need help . I have a hardinge CHNC4 . I need schematics for my CHNC . can you send me your schematics . my e-mail is [email protected] . thank you .
    R-A

R6A private-messaged me earlier about getting his bar feeder to work with his CHNC4 and use of the g-code commands.

I don't have schematics in PDF format to send to you, but I can tell you what you need to know: Looking at the schematics on my CHNC 1, the RC14 (relay control) in the rear cabinet is the relay that connects to your bar-feed. G-Code M20 is the code for advancing the feed. From the hardinge Programmer's manual, the M20 command is defined as:

"Used with a collet closer mounted air barfeed only. M20 activates the Enable Barfeed Air Relay (RC14) until the collet is opened AND closed. After the collect closer is closed, the Enable Barfeed Air relay is kept activated for 2 seconds to insure [sic] the collet closer is physically closed before releasing the air pressure."

There's not much to the schematic except a bunch of lines leading from the control to the RC14 relay. It's the relay you want to connect your barfeed to. What I can't tell if there is an external feed connector for this relay, or how to properly route your barfeed control line inside the cabinet.

Torin
    --
    www.walker-tech.com

thank you . I try to do it.

I strongly suggest you connect a light-bulb or some other AC-type load to the relay and make sure that RC14 is in fact the correct relay. There may be a difference between your CHNC4 and my older CHNC1. Also, by testing it, you will know whether your relay is in working condition... At first it seemed I was doing something wrong (fixing my vertical slide - different thread) and couldn't get it to work, but it turned out that I had four failed relays that I had to replace.

Let me know how it goes.

Torin...
    --
    walker-tech.com

I dont have any wiring diagram to check RC14 connections and I have some other problems . I know that chnc4 and chnc1 have some diffrence in wiring but diagrams for chnc1 help me until I get chnc4 diagrams . thank u

You don't need schematics to test the relay. Just find the relay marked 14 in your rear-right (looking at the back) electrical panel and connect a light-bulb in series with 120V to the relay. When you issue an M20, the light should turn on. Then, open and close the collet, and two seconds after the collet closes again, the light should turn off.

What other problems are you experiencing?

Torin...
    --
    www.walker-tech.com

When I press and hold the white button under the turret plate , "Spindel brake on" message appears on the CRT screen .