586,108 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PCNC 1100 not talking to the computer or vice versa

Tormach PCNC 1100 not talking to the computer or vice versa

Hi,

I used my machine for a few hours yesterday and then shut it down. Went out today to do some more work. Fired it up and the red indicator for the computer does not light. When
    I try to move the Z axis upward + it does not move. The readout shows it moving but there is no apparent motion, no motor sound, nothing. The spindle is setting down on a piece of two by four on the vice so I have not tried to move either X or Y.

I am not an electrician so I am not sure what to do next. Has anyone out there ever had this problem? Can someone tell me what to check and in what sequence?

Thanks,

Ernie

Hi Ernie,
    I'll go and pull the Z axis fuse and see it I get the same results.
    I think you should call Tormach, they WILL help you. Doesn't matter if your machine in out of warranty.

I pulled the Z fuse, got the same results.
    DRO showing movement with no power to the motor.
    X and Y axis work fine.

Maybe just the fuse.

Did you check if the cable between the computer and control box is connected and not loose?

I have had one of the axes not work as you describe yet the readout shows its working, I just shut the main power off for a few seconds , turn it back on and everything is fine again.

HF from the welding machine I believe is what causes my problem.
    mike sr

Well like I said, I am not an electrician. Looking at the schematic I do not see a fuse specific to the Z drive unless it is on the DC bus board..I will have to pull them to check if they are blown. Or I will put the ohm meter across them once I ascertain that all the power is off.

Checked all the connections and they seem to be in order.

The power for the red computer light comes from J3 on the Tormach Machine Control Board. The fuses on that board are okay.

Not sure what to try now. I talked to a tech at Tormach earlier today and he was not much help. I am not easy to talk with on the phone. Not only am I hearing impaired I have a problem understanding certain sounds and tones. The tech that I talked to probably thought that I was a retard.

If anyone has more suggestions they are welcome. I will try my best to chase down all ideas.

It would be nice if the computer could just point a person to the problem like the computer in an automobile does when you plug in a scanner.

Ernie

The fuses should be on a separate board (center in the picture).
    I have a series I and a series II PCNC1100, the boards are different in both. The Z axis is labeled the same though. "F3 Z FUSE"

I'm not an electrician either, although some times I'm referred to as "Old Sparky"! I'd recommend pulling the fuse from the holder to check it. That way you're only checking the fuse and not the whole circuit. All the fuses in mine are the old glass style, so pretty easy to see if one is blown.
    Good luck, hope you get back to making chips soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tormach axis fuses.jpg  

Thanks Wog,

I believe that board is the DC Bus Board and on my machine it is mounted in the upper left hand corner of the panel. Hard to see and hard to reach. I will round up a fuse puller and remove them one at a time to see if that is the problem.

I will post the results sometime today.

Ernie

Not sure what to try now. I talked to a tech at Tormach earlier today and he was not much help. I am not easy to talk with on the phone. Not only am I hearing impaired I have a problem understanding certain sounds and tones. The tech that I talked to probably thought that I was a retard.

Ernie[/QUOTE]

You are not alone here Ernie, I have the same problem, lately I try to write the questions down, seems to help.
    Good luck with the problem of getting the machine going again.
    mike sr

Hi everybody,

I pulled the fuses and they are all good. I did notice that the clips that hold the fuses in place have no spring. When I pulled the fuses the clips just stayed open. I will have to check further to see what may be the cause of my problem.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    Hi everybody,

I pulled the fuses and they are all good. I did notice that the clips that hold the fuses in place have no spring. When I pulled the fuses the clips just stayed open. I will have to check further to see what may be the cause of my problem.

Ernie
    The fuse clips will not close when a fuse is removed. There should be a snap force needed to remove or insert the fuse.

I would replace the fuse(s) and use a voltmeter to check bus voltages and voltage into the motor control. If your Z axis is not greatly pressing on your wood block I would jog the X and Y axis to see if they have motion. Knowing this will greatly narrow the possible problems.

Use care when checking voltages as high voltage is contained in the cabinet.

Robert

Hi Robert,

When I mentioned that the fuse clips stayed open I mean they stayed open. There is no spring whatsoever. If you take tour fingernail you can, with just slight pressure, move the clip any amount and it will stay there, no spring back.

I have not been able to get back to the garage to do further checking.

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Sounds like you found at least part of your problem..... Hopefully it will be an easy fix for you.

Robert

Talking

I would like to report to all that my machine is back up and running. Tormach sent me a replacement machine controller, at no charge because my old one was under warranty, I installed it and everything is fine. The Tormach people are the best.

Ernie

Rock on.
    Thanks for the follow-up!