586,108 active members*
3,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540, a shop droid gantry and some ebay steppers

G540, a shop droid gantry and some ebay steppers

Ill try to make this as much to the point as possible. Here are the important details:

Shop droid 4x4 gantry
    Gecko G540
    48v power supply
    Ebay nema 23 steppers 6 wire 3a 281ozin
    Mach3

The first issue i am having first of all is the gecko seems to randomly go into fault mode when i am joging the axis on the gantry. It did not have this issue when i used the gecko red db9 cables paired with some bipolar 381ozin 3.5a motors i have at home for my mini mill but with the ebay ones it is having issues. Now i have a 3.48k resistor installed with these motors as i plan to upgrade them in the near future and didnt want to have to rewire. If i hit the estop then disengage it it will go back to normal and run for a bit until it does it all again.

Next issue is the steps per in are way off from the data i was provided from shopdroids. i took the number they gave me and multiplied it x10 to since the g540 has permanent microstep and when i jog the axis is says my gantry is only 8"x8" (roughly). When i removed the x10 factor its right about where it should be but with the motor runing set to 150ipm it moves incredibly slow. The z axis also seems to stall and act sluggish when these settings are used.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get my table up and running so i can move onto finishing my x2 freak :wee:

Thanks

what is the pitch of your rack and what is the number of teeth in your pinion gear? what wires are connected to the drive?