587,047 active members*
2,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Applying a "threaded" traction surface ?

Applying a "threaded" traction surface ?

You may have seen my post about this clamp die block a while back. Everything worked out great and many thanks to all involved. I do have a related question on it though. What would be the easiest way to apply a "sort of" threaded surface to this clamp cavity? That is, fine serrations of say about .040 high X .030 distance with a sharp edge. These are used to enhance its grip on the tube to prevent slip.

We can of course put it in a 4 jaw and get the straight section by just ID threading. We also sometimes use a carbide deposition box (rocklinizer) to apply a sort of rough carbide surface electricaly. These both work but I would like to try and do it some how in bobcad.

Like maybe use project to a curve with text but instead use serrations or maybe a chevron or X pattern. Just looking for suggestions to send me the right way.

Maybe a fine carve tool and use slice plannar finish ??
    Attached Files Attached Files

knurl it

A standard knurl, like a flashlight, isnt deep enough, plugs up.

Tubeguy,

What I am thinking you can use is 3D engrave. Cutting with a taper tip cutter you'll be able to project a 2D hatch pattern onto the surface and generate code for it.

Things to consider:

When you project wire frame onto a surface it is not compensated for the tool in any way. Also you'll only be able to create this patter on the shallow portion of the part.

This is what your part looks like now:

photo sharing websites

What you'll need to do is create a 2D "profile" that you'll hatch. It might look something like this:

photo upload

Now that we have our profile, we'll use the Hatch feature.

photo sharing

Using this hatch ( cross hatch ) feature you'll get this result:

free picture hosting

Now we have our 2D wire frame, we can project it down onto the model surface. I'll create a new layer before I project to make the projected path easier to select later. You could also change the color you are drawing with for the same reason....

photo storage

You'll notice the projected happened on the cavity and on the back side of the block. From here I am just going to a front view, select what I do not want and delete it.

At this point I have created the 3D wire frame to use with the 3D engraving tool path.

images
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

How to video links

This video show you how to lay out the boundary ( profile) that you will use to contain the cross hatch. It also shows you how to create the hatching

How to video link >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cross Hatch boundary setup - adepoalo's library

Now that we have our 2D wire frame we can project it down on to the surface(s) This video walks you through those steps. Once the wire frame is projected on the surface we are ready to engrave in 3D.

How to video link >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3D Engrave for projected cross hatch - adepoalo's library
    Al DePoalo

tubeguy,

did you ever try this?
    Al DePoalo