586,106 active members*
3,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > BSA pinewood derby cars

Cool BSA pinewood derby cars

Just wanted to know if anyone has milled boy scout derby car on cnc mill / router. Just did my first one. After 6 hours of design, setup and cutting I'm glad my son likes it!

Hey Drew, Have you seen the one whiteriver did http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...2&page=2&pp=15 ,It looks pretty cool. If you get a chance you should post some pics of yours. Thanks- Robbie

I'm still awaiting arrival of a dayton mini CNC router and have already purchased Bobcad v20 and bobart-x-pro. I bought this for fun and yes plan to mill alot of pinewood derby cars. Got first place last night in Tiger and Bear Race. I keep getting asked how We (my sons and I) win. I tell them I am a machinist and some still don't get it. Yeah this is gonna be a blast. I heard of some software for Co2 cars that sounded neat.

I thought that the pinewood derby was supposed to be a father supervised project, not a father PERFORMED project??? 8-))

That's OK, I "supervised" a couple for the neighbor kid and a cousin. Kicked you know what at the trials that got us into the "dash for cash'. Got stuck in lame bumpy lane in finals for trip to Indy 500 and still finished close second (ours were hand filed, not CNC'd).

You'd have a blast with R/C cars if you can afford it.

Yes, the fun of winning using tricks that are in clear sight of all.. Ahh the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams
    I thought that the pinewood derby was supposed to be a father supervised project, not a father PERFORMED project??? 8-))

Years ago, my son asked for help with his pinewood derby car. So, I showed him how to use the belt sander and drill prees. AND, then went back in the house. He had the UGLIEST car at the race that night. When he took first place, he had total bragging rights 'cause every there knew he did it himself.

Now, at 22 He's suspervisor in his CNC department. Has guys my age working for him. Makes more bucks than anyone else in his class.

He wouldn't have got there if papa done stuff for him.

Karl

So why not sit him down and let him draw it up and generate some code then machine it himself with you supervising? I have a 10 year old that is absolutely amazed by cnc if he were into scouting thats what i'd do...guess I have to wait for his little brother to get older.

posting code

Would anyone be intereseting in posting the code for a pinewood derby car. I am fairly new to Cnc and an not overly confident that i can draw it out in a cad program. Thanks

What kind of machine will you be cutting it on? That'll determine the code needed.

Code

Yea that would help. I have a home built 3 axis machine running Mach 3. I think that is all that you will need. If not let me know, like I said still new at this game, but everyone is new to something.

Thanks for the help.

Probabaly a really "duh" question in here, but does anyone know where to get the .pst post for mach 3? I would need that, but that's about it. Then the rest is easy

.pst????? do you need to know the post processor?

machinist

ha guys I am looking for a step file or iges file for the batman car or any cool looking derby car I want to cut using surfaces on mastercam x3 to develop the derby car thanks Robert Copeland

M1A1 3D Model + Shopbot = Pinewood Derby!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Just wanted to know if anyone has milled boy scout derby car on cnc mill / router. Just did my first one. After 6 hours of design, setup and cutting I'm glad my son likes it!
    Ran this one this morning for a local fellow who was not to adept with hammer and saw. Of course the Pinewood Derby was only a week away from the time he dropped it off to me and the time he picked it up. As luck would have it we are up to our ears in work right now... however, whenever I get the chance to try something new, I jump at it.
    More photos in my photo albums on my Profile Page at the CAMheads.org forum.
    You may need to register to view photos. It is free and we need the web traffic!
    http://www.camheads.org/member.php?u=190
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M1 TANK.jpg