586,102 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

fadal drawbars

we have 4020's,4525's and 6030 machines.we are replacing drawbars 2or3 times a year.does anyone else have to replace them this often.we cut alot of heavy steel parts.could they be trying to cut too much at one pass.thanks for any input

Wink bar

HI !

Which part of it ? I guess the gripper (part with the balls inside) wears out ... or not ?

FADAL VMC4020 HT 1995, Z 28" (if true) , 88HS , 10K rmp , 21 TC geneva /rotary/ , VH-65 (A-axis) ,3ph 400V , metric, NO conveyor, No palette. (+alternative DC AMP)

yes its the gripper ...tears the balls up and the holes where the balls seat in

Angry balls

Yep.

I guess it is due to the high load of the tool.

A big tool with a big "stepdown" can make this wear. I would say with less stepdown (and) slower feed rate or with higher RPM you could take off some load from the tool.
    Tools have curved feature so it wants to eat itself into the material like a thread is being made. Probably the weakest part is this gripper so it gets the punishment.

Akos
    FADAL VMC4020 HT 1995, Z 28" (if true) , 88HS , 10K rmp , 21 TC geneva /rotary/ , VH-65 (A-axis) ,3ph 400V , metric, NO conveyor, No palette. (+alternative DC AMP)

I know for years we never put a draw bar in any of the 7 fadals we have.Now for some reason we have to put 3 or 4 a year in them.Not sure if there trying to take too much material off too fast or what . Thanks

What happens when the drawbar is worn? Does it start dropping tools?

yep....it starts dropping tools after it loses all the balls

Picture not showing Floater; it is a bushing hanging only with 2 ball in a grove where the draw bar 8 balls retracts to grab the tool; when the floater is damage, it moves down, preventing the 8 balls to fully open to grab the tool holder. Some times wont grab a tool at all, and some times pops'm out. replacing a floter is a pain.

yes....we replace floaters everytime we do drawbar...pain in the butt.have to grind the balls out with die grinder or sometimes i can catch the lip with a dent puller and get them out

I need to ask where you are getting your drawbars? Fadal designed these drawbars and I have never heard of anyone having such a systemic issue.
    Pat Grantz
    Director of Operations - PowerInterface iMPACTiq

I would also be concerned with the drawbar retention force, making sure it is within factory spec after the drawbar is replaced.

draw bar problem.

any type of draw bar problem, you can check this
    tool is not inserted into spindle,problem in drawbar, disc spring or collet.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemisa View Post
    yes....we replace floaters everytime we do drawbar...pain in the butt.have to grind the balls out with die grinder or sometimes i can catch the lip with a dent puller and get them out
    floaters = locking collar

just wiggle a small (telescopic stick) magnet up the spindle nose and them 2 balls will jump right out :cheers:
    use copper-slip to stick them in place (internally) when you slide it back in and, if your fingers are long enough, pop them through the holes into position.

How often do you replace the pull studs?