586,058 active members*
3,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help with Fanuc tape drill mate

sorry if this is the wrong section to post about a machine more than control.

I accidentally won one of these at auction and have to decommission the plant and transport the machine home.

the machine has tools in the carousel and I should probably remove these and the one in the spindle before I transport it. it has Fanuc Om control (unsure of version). I am only familiar with knee mills and draw bars and have never encountered pull stud tooling before.

I'm guessing the machine is a T type due to the hinged tool carousel compared to the fixed carousel on the earlier D model. I would guess the machine is a 70's or 80's vintage.

can anyone give me advice on removing the tools and transporting the drill?

anyone have a pdf operators manual for a tape drill mate they are willing to share?

Fanuc 0-series is from late 80's to early 90's.
    I worked a Fanuc Tape Center model D in the mid 80's with Fanuc 6M-B
    not familiar with the tool holding type on your machine but you can easily remove the tools usually just by pulling them out of their holders.
    or if it looks like this pic below the tools can be removed from the carousel with circlip pliers.
    to remove the tool in the spindle will require power-on and a tool change command.

thanks.
    it looks like the one pictured but without the enclosure. there are some minor differences in the design compared to the one you posted.

is the tool change command machine specific, or is there a generic code?

assuming its the same design as the one I worked in 1985 you can remove the tools with circlip pliers.
    tool change is just common format T01 M06 (etc)

if you don't have power you could maybe dissassemble the machine to get to the Z axis leadscrew and wind it upwards by hand. On that machine (well, on the one I worked) a tool change just pulls the Z axis up off the spindle taper and the tool is left behind in the carousel.
    but before that you'd also have to figure out how to release the pull stud clamp (probably a hydraulic set up using solenoid etc).
    it'd be a lot easier with power.
    in MDI just type T01 M06 [EOB] [INSERT] [START]