586,069 active members*
3,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > selecting parts from spider.dxf

selecting parts from spider.dxf

Im trying to select a single part from grouped pieces of the spider.dxf file in cambam. but when i save it and go to the next part and do the profile it will only name the first file name,then says it already exists. im trying to name them different name because my footprint of my router table is just so big so im trying to cut out each piece by there selves. i select the part do the mop then try to save that mop, then go to the next part then do a mop and try to rename it to save it seperate but i cant. how can this be done..

When you do the second (third, fourth, etc) save and it tells you the file name already exists and do you want to replace it, reply no and then change the name of the file to what ever you want, then save it again. Do this for each piece you want a separate MOP/gcode file.

Don

Thats the way I thought I was doing it, perhaps im missing a step, I will go back and make sure im doing it like you said.Each time I save the file under a different file name,it keeps adding the previous part, might be because I am missing some thing. Thank you

Not sure what process you are going thru to select the 'next' part, but you either need to replace the MOP for the first part with MOP for the second part, or change to Primitive ID number in the original MOP with the Primitive ID for the new part number.

What I would do is select the part I want to cut for part 1, generate generate and save the gcode with a file name that references the part #. Then go back to the original MOP and substitute the Primitive ID for part 2, generate the gcode and when it says the file already exists/replace it? say no, and change the file name to indicate part #2 then save it. Repeat for process 3,4,5, etc.

Another way to do it is to generate a MOP for each part by copying the MOP for the first individual MOP and pasting it. Then substitute the Primitive ID for each part you want to make. Then, you can enable/disable each individual MOP you want to use for each individual part but you will still have to name the generated gcode files differently for each part.

Don

I will try that, what im trying to do is on my laptop where cambam is located, im trying to break up each part as a seperate and make a file for each one.then take all files to my computer that has EMC2 on it and run each as a different file. so that i can pick each part by it self in order to fit on my cnc router table. again I will try that right now im running an eagle engraving,doing a dry run so i can catch any messups. thanks very much. I can see my understanding is not so much as far as the machining gos but its at the software level. such as the cad and cam. But it very exiciting..

Hey, no problem, we all had to start at the beginning and learn the basics. I understand what you want to do and I may not be explaining my solution very well. Hang in there, you will get it.

Don

If you have a separate machining operation for each feature, you can also right click on the machining operation and select 'Produce gcode'.

This will create a g-code file for just that machining operation.
    www.cambam.co.uk