586,094 active members*
3,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Opening AND closing rolled steel covers on lock

Opening AND closing rolled steel covers on lock

I have a combination lock that is sealed at the back with a rolled metal edge.
    I'd like to modify the mechanism, but in order to do that, I have to open the case. An easy way would be to simply put the lock in a chuck and turn the rolled edge off the back. The problem is sealing it back up again.

Anyone have 1) a better way to describe this and/or2) how to non destructively open and close this lock.

Thanks
    Nitrous

Grind or turn off the lip, open it up, then TIG it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Grind or turn off the lip, open it up, then TIG it back together.
    Was hoping for something a little less destructive. The metal is not terribly robust. I'm guessing it could be relied (if non destructively opened by rolling up the rim), with a simple die press.

Thanks for the ideas
    Nitrous

I've torn apart a bunch of master combo locks. Prying up the rim and them reseating it would be a hell of a chore.

Matt

I agree. Unless I can figure out a way of open it like a tire changer, that spins around the outside "lifting" the rim, I think I'll just be looking at it for a while.
    Nitrous

Well, I think I've got a way to open (and close) the rolled edge seal on the lock.
    I'm going to mount my lock in a three jaw chuck and use a brass round point tool to flair the edge back. I'll use the compound slide to get inside. Maybe use a bit of wax as a lubricant. I would close it the same way, but moving the slide (and tool) inward.

My only problem is getting a slow enough peed on my little Emco Maer Compact 5. Also, the shackle makes this a little symmetric, mass wise. Well, my other problem seems to be getting the lock chucked into my little 3-jaw universal. The dial won't fit into the throat of the chuck sufficiently to get a bite on the jaws. Any suggestion? I thought maybe I could use a piece of thick walled tubing, slit lengthwise. No heavy cutting is planned. Just some unrolling of light guge metal.

Does this sound reasonable to you experienced folks?

Nitrous

You could machine an aluminum block to accept the round part of the lock and machine out a slot for the shackle. Then use set screws or something to hold it in there.

Assuming you have a 5C chuck you can machine the same into this guy and use the collet to hold the lock.

National Supply Source Lyndex 5C Emergency Collets - Large Diameter - Lyndex 5C Emergency Collets - Large Diameter Product Page

Matt

You could machine an aluminum block to accept the round part of the lock and machine out a slot for the shackle. Then use set screws or something to hold it in there.

Assuming you have a 5C chuck you can machine the same into this guy and use the collet to hold the lock.

National Supply Source Lyndex 5C Emergency Collets - Large Diameter - Lyndex 5C Emergency Collets - Large Diameter Product Page

Matt
    Thanks Matt
    I'm a little limited in my metal working capabilities. I'm going to see what a 1" piece of tubular aluminum will do as a poor mans collet.
    The collet URL Would be nice for holding coins.

Nitrous

What You could do is machine an aluminum block to accept the round part of the lock, then machine out a slot for the shackle.

Matt
    That would be a great idea. My lathe is a little small for that and my milling capabilities are pretty limited.
    Maybe I can come up with some derivative of this.

Thanks for the feedback
    Nitrous