587,070 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Sources?

I'm looking for a 2-3kW 3P spindle. I've seen lots of web page articles and write ups but have yet to see an any reference to where they actually purchased one!

Can any one help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by DieselTwitch View Post
    I'm looking for a 2-3kW 3P spindle. I've seen lots of web page articles and write ups but have yet to see an any reference to where they actually purchased one!

Can any one help me out?
    If you're referring to high speed electro-spindles, typically used in gantry type CNC routers, try Ekstrom Carlson:

Ekstrom Carlson: Router Bits, Spindle Repair, Spindle Motor, Router Motor, Coolant Spray Mist Systems by Ekstrom-Carlson
    -Sol
    http://www.orangevise.com

You need to state your expected RPM?
    All 3ph spindles require a VFD of some kind.
    There are 2.2kw R.O.C. H.S. spindles on ebay, but it would be advisable to get a separate VFD such as Hitachi etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    You need to state your expected RPM?
    All 3ph spindles require a VFD of some kind.
    There are 2.2kw R.O.C. H.S. spindles on ebay, but it would be advisable to get a separate VFD such as Hitachi etc.
    Al.
    Yeah, I knew I was going to need a VFD. (My job is actually installing and configuring VFDs ) My speed range is 0 - 15k or 20k Don't really need speeds any higher than that but I know that most spindles can handle 25k and some even go to 40k+ I try to stay away from e bay. gotten burned to many times. I would rather pay full price and get a full warranty and total service.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Vise View Post
    If you're referring to high speed electro-spindles, typically used in gantry type CNC routers, try Ekstrom Carlson:

Ekstrom Carlson: Router Bits, Spindle Repair, Spindle Motor, Router Motor, Coolant Spray Mist Systems by Ekstrom-Carlson
    Thanks for the source! great find!

My question on this is also how much power do I really need. Im not a pro machinist. I just went to school for it because i really enjoy it. Now that Im out I really want to get my own setup going. the table Im putting this on is 1 meter square table. Im not sure if I really need a 2.2kW motor or if a 1 or 1.5kW will do the job. I mostly machine Al with some SS and std carbon steels along with woods and plastics.

I did find UGRAcnc.com they seam to have the only liquid cooled ones i can find

That is a very broad question.

There are all sorts of manufactures to choose from. For example Gilman (Customized, engineered solutions to meet your exact need) represents one end of the spectrum of spindles available. I see latter in this thread that you are looking for higher speed spindle for router type work so maybe these guys, Ekstrom Carlson: Router Bits, Spindle Repair, Spindle Motor, Router Motor, Coolant Spray Mist Systems by Ekstrom-Carlson, are a little closer to what you need. If you like Italian you could try: Right angle heads, Electrospindles, NC boring head - HSD, or from another part of the world: PDS - High Speed Spindles, Tooling, & Accessories for Machines & Robots. Finally you might try: High Speed Cnc Router Spindle Motor,Buy Quality High Speed Cnc Router Spindle Motor from Manufacturers and Suppliers on Alibaba.com for something Chinese.

Can any one help me out?
    You might want to polish up the Google fu. Of the above the only manufacture we make use of is Gilman today.

My question on this is also how much power do I really need. Im not a pro machinist. I just went to school for it because i really enjoy it. Now that Im out I really want to get my own setup going. the table Im putting this on is 1 meter square table. Im not sure if I really need a 2.2kW motor or if a 1 or 1.5kW will do the job. I mostly machine Al with some SS and std carbon steels along with woods and plastics.

I did find UGRAcnc.com they seam to have the only liquid cooled ones i can find
    Hi,

I bought a 1.1 kW spindle the first time around. After only a few months I ordered a 2.2 kW instead. I really didn't need more power, but I really wanted larger collets. The 1.1kW had ER11 collets, which limited the tools up to 8mm. The new 2.2Kw has ER20, which limits at 13mm. Doesn't sounds like much of a difference, but it really is!!

Larger spindles also means more metal, larger bearings and usually more solid, which could be a huge factor if you've built your own CNC - less vibrations, cleaner cuts!