586,500 active members*
1,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Spindle lube on 4020

Spindle lube on 4020

I have a 1990 4020 with 15 hp 10,000 rpm spindle. The manual talks about the spindle lube needing to be a drop per second. Where is the sightglass? All I see is the way lube system.

Thanks,

Scott

We have the same machine and it is just to the right of the main power switch and directly above the waylube system. It says Bijur Mist Lubricator on top. You'll see an air pressure gage and a sight glass.

Daking,
    There are two studs there, but no lubricator. Is there another way to get lube to the spindle? I know that this machine had a spindle rebuild about 5 years ago.

Thanks,

Scott

Fudd,
    It was probably updated to the late model spindle that needs no lubriction. I believe they call it a cartridge spindle. It is fairly common to do this along with a couple of other updates that go along with the spindle change. I wouldn't be alarmed unless the spindle is getting warm to the touch. That is a sign you have damaged the bearings in a tool crash. The newer spindles seem to be more prone to damage in this respect.
    Alloyspec

Alloy,
    Thanks for the information. They did say that the "spindle cartridge" was replaced. The spindle gets slightly warm after 3 hrs of 4000 rpm which should be expected. I kept trying to find the lube and figured either they are "lubed for life" bearings or the way lube was connected to it.

Thanks,

Scott