586,094 active members*
4,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach or GMT 6" vise

Looks like you can get a GMT 6" deluxe vise for about the same price as the tormach 5".
    Anyone have any experiences with the GMT vise?

Getting close to buying an 1100 and looking at accessories.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by stumpmonkey View Post
    Looks like you can get a GMT 6" deluxe vise for about the same price as the tormach 5".
    Anyone have any experiences with the GMT vise?

Getting close to buying an 1100 and looking at accessories.

Thanks,
    I have the standard (GSV-690) on my 1100 and I love it. A bit of a space hog, but I have never had any issues with repeatability, planarity, etc....

If I had it to do again, I would spend the extra $150 on the GPV-615, so I could stand it up on its side when needed, though I have managed just fine with tall softjaws...

Note that either vise comes with 11/16" keys on the bottom, which need either removed or milled down to fit the 5/8" table slots on the Tormach.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post

Note that either vise comes with 11/16" keys on the bottom, which need either removed or milled down to fit the 5/8" table slots on the Tormach.

For my Kurt D688 6" vise used on the Tormach 1100, I ordered Kurt vise keys D50-33A that are 11/16” x 5/8” that fit the Tormach 1100 5/8" slot perfectly.

Don

Which vise?

I started a thread a few weeks ago on a similar topic. You may want to look at those comments.

General opinion seemed to favor a 6" vise, GMT or Kurt. I bought a GMT reversed jaw, precision 6" CNC style (can be mounted flat or on the side). It arrived fine, exceeds posted specs. Comments about keys and other GMT mounting hardware are correct- won't fit.

That said, it's a big beast. Mounted perpendicular to the X axis, it does affect the size of the machining envelope. Heavy, too (80 lb).

I'm happy with the GMT. My jobs are all over the map, so having a vise that can hold nearly the entire X working envelope is worth it. And I have never had regrets buying a bigger, more capable tool than I could use today; my jobs never get smaller.

If you're considering the Tormach 5", though, you might ask how big your usual job will be, and note that the 5" vise is probably sized better for the machine. Tormach usually makes very good choices, so the 5" vise is almost certainly what Tormach regards as the optimal size for the machine.

When I had my real shop, I had 4 Quad 1 vises. I sold them when I sold the shop. These vises were really cool because the fixed jaw was on the front of the vise which allowed me to always work in the X+ Y+ direction.

About a year ago, I bought one of the vises back figuring I could use it on my PCNC 1100 with no problem.

Well there WAS a problem. It was 2 1/4 inches too long to fit the table. After some consideration, I found a solution.

I took the vise to a friends shop where he has a BIG cut off saw. YEP, you guessed it, I had him cut 2 1/4 inches off the back of the vise, and now all is well.

The vise still opens 4 1/4 inches, which is more than ANY parts I will ever make. I just don't do parts that big. I just don't want to work that hard.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

The Kurt D688 vise does sticks out 1" in the Y axis but opens up to 8.8" without shifting jaws. BTW some of my parts do utilize the larger opening of the Kurt D688.

The D688 does weigh a bit but so does the Tormach 8” RT which I often swap between. My solution was to build a shelf behind the operator (me) at the same height as the mill table that I store both the vise and RT. This make swapping a matter of shifting the weight laterally and not shifting the 80 plus lbs in height. Works for me. YMMV

Don

Appreciate all the info, thanks. Probably have several more inane questions.

I have 2 GMT 6" vises, gpv-615... not sure why I bought two... I must of seen 2 being used somewhere and thought it looked cool... and besides if one vise is good, two must be better...
    I haven't really used the second one yet... but they are good vices (accidental spelling error? or purposeful pun? I am not sure...)

Glacern & Tormach are amazing companies, very professional & will help you until you're happy. Both companies are a great choice, but 5" vs 6" can make a big difference when you need it. Glacern will also match your vises for free or anytime down the road you want another.

If you get into nesting parts, two vises can come in handy.

Or if you have the extra coin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7SqkD5C43s&NR=1&feature=endscreen]The One for CNC Machining: Chick One-Lok - YouTube[/ame]

Very slick!!

Anyone see problems that might trump the practicality of this vise?

Y-axis hog...17" long.

You can't turn it on its side, and for the price of the Chick vise, you can have 2 GMT's.

I just wish GMT made their reverse vise in a 4 inch size since I don't run parts any larger than that. EVER.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I just wish GMT made their reverse vise in a 4 inch size since I don't run parts any larger than that. EVER.
    A few months ago I asked GMT if they were looking at making a 4" or 5" reverse vise and they said its something they would consider if the market was there. I think a lot of guys with the tormach 770 or novakon145 type mills would be all over it. The more people who contact them about it the better!

I have to agree. Why does everyone have to wait to see if the market is there. I think people with small machines would be all over it.

I would buy 3 or 4 of them.

Didn't want to derail this thread any further, so I started a new thread/poll in general metalworking section on the GMT reverse vise in 4" / 5"

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ml#post1198024