586,067 active members*
5,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bar Feeder for ST20 SSY

So I am waiting (im)patiently for my new ST 20 SSY lathe.

I have been considering my options for a bar feeder that I am likely to purchase and add to it early next year.

I tried contacting a rep from LNS but haven't had even a courtesy reply yet.

I was hoping to get insight from people with different bar feeders on what I should consider/be looking for and why I should go with one over another?

Thanks

I liked the SMW bar feeder. Servo feed. Pretty simple interface.

I'd say get the Haas barfeeder, the interface with the machine is so reliable and trouble free it's almost to easy.
    http://onedropyoyos.com/yoyos/

Haas barfeeders do interface well with their own machines, however, they also use the hardware of the machine itself. Meaning a Haas barfeeder relys on the machine not only to tell it what to do, but also how and when to do it. It also means if there is ever a communication issue with the machine/barfeed, the problem will likely be within the wonderful $3000 box that Haas loves so much.

LNS makes fine machinery, and their barfeeders do not rely on a machine telling them what to do AND when to do it. LNS (among other) barfeeders control themselves and look to the machine for only simple signals; i.e. push, e-stop, chuck open/closed.

An LNS will likely cost more than a Haas unit, and since you bought a Haas machine in the first place, I can only assume cost IS an issue. LNS does offer a slightly less costly machine that is all electric as opposed to air/electric, for around $21k

Cool story bro. I have several haas lathes with haas bar feeders and have never had a problem with them. Yes, the bar feeder relies on the lathe for instructions. I call that a benefit. The bar feeder is basically treated as just another axis(v). After embracing x and z it was an easy mind-shift.
    http://onedropyoyos.com/yoyos/