586,112 active members*
2,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Beginner Question

Hello,

My father is trying to build a CNC machine, and we've got most of the hardware work done (He's a mechanic and I have some EE knowledge). However, I am trying to get my ahead around the "connecting it to the PC" part. My father is using a stepper setup, and he has some sort of motors, but that's as much as I know... So basically, would somebody be able to give me a rundown on which motors, controllers and software I'd need to get this working? Will Info Cam help me with it at all? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    D.H.

It would be best if you understand how the process works before doing anything.
    The most popular control programme is Mach3 this contols the the axis motors and cutting spindle.
    You need to tell Mach what to do, this programe is called G code, this code is normaly made by a CAM programe, but can be written by hand. The programe that that informs CAM is called CAD which is a drawing programe.
    I have discribed the process the wrong way round, that is, first CAD ( design you part) then CAM, to tell Mach what to do, machine cuts your part.
    Hope that helps
    Good Luck

Mike

Apologies for being unclear, my post was made in a rush - I more than understand CAD programs and actually getting the vectors... the part that I am not sure about is the actual part of hooking up the motors to the PC and controlling them via the PC. Thank you for the quick reply.

Here is a great place to start: Support

First you have to decide what control programe to use, if you are using Mach then go to the Artsoft website and download the manual, it will then lead you through the configureing process.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikemill View Post
    First you have to decide what control programe to use, if you are using Mach then go to the Artsoft website and download the manual, it will then lead you through the configureing process.

Mike
    Once we have decided on the software where would we find some info on UK supplies of kits or parts??