586,364 active members*
3,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 580oz/in bipolar 4 wire Nema 34 driver schematic or source?

580oz/in bipolar 4 wire Nema 34 driver schematic or source?

Hi everyone, I want to build a cnc for woodworking at home. I just won an auction for 3 of those motors with 1.8 degree step and 3A current. I'm going to use the Linux CNC and wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion for stepper drivers and a PSU to start out with. I wouldn't mind soldering one together myself and do know how to read schematics. Some general links would help too, I've tried searching but can't seem to find too much on the actual electronics aside from just buying a hobby CNC kit. Unfortunately it says they don't work with 4 wire. Or should I resell the mottors and get different ones?

Buying motors first is usually the worst way to go about it. Most people that do it that way find out later that the motors they bought don't work very well for what they plan on using them for.
    For best performance, stepper motors need to be well matched to the application.

I'd not worry about drives right now.
    Get the machine built first, then see if the motors you have will work with it, and then figure out what drives to use at that point.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There are 2 threads in the open source controller boards using the THB6064AH in a DIY driver. This chip will probably not perfectly match your motors for torque at high speed, we need the datasheet of those motors.

The setup of your machine and what it will be used for determines the choice of motor's as GER21 said.
    If you have a particular setup in mind you could have a look at different similar build threads and see what's used there.

Sevenspeed,

I believe Lucas is actually referring to the THB6064. James Newton has a kit available, see attached link.

THB6064 MassMind Stepper Motor Driver Kit

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Here is a schematic for a stepper driver that will work with your bipolar steppers.

L297-8 - PMinMO.com

He also sells a bare board if you want to save some time and just buy the parts. You won't get the performance that you will get if you buy a commercial driver but if you want to build your own these work very well. I built a set of these and have been happy with them.

Thanks for the help, I should have researched more first but got a deal and nema 34 was what one project I saw used. I made the womb assumption of course that was a specific motor nut just a mounting size.

I'll check those out after work. I'll probably upgrade to commercial drivers and a spindle motor later but a kit or schematic can get me going.

I want to start with a wood milling machine but may later try metal or laser. I have a 5.8 amp variable speed spiral saw fit start.

I'll probably do mdf with industrial bearings and black pipe unless I attempt to make some out of metal. I work at a metal stamping and bending prototype place with laser cutters.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2